December training and a update on me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Last weeks dive training went well. After a team meeting on day one we headed out to the mouth of the Spokane River. We had the USCG in tow and were assisting with locating the Navigation Light that was on top of a group of 5 or so pilings. It seems that one of our Cruise Boat skippers decided to run over it. I don’t know what she was thinking, maybe a sale at Target? :D

Day two we went up to Spirit Lake to recover items that fell out of a boat earlier in the year. The operator didn't make it. He was tied to the boat but no PFD.

I didn't dive either day because of this stinkin injury which should be coming to an end soon. Once we got Workman's Comp out of the picture it only took 3 weeks to get me set up for repairs. Workman's Comp took roughly 9 months just to get an MRI. Basically I have a broken neck. Not like it sounds. The hole the nerve runs through from my spine to my left arm is broken off.

So Thursday morning I go into the hospital, get hit in the head with a 10# sledge hammer and before I come to they are fixing the problem. I don't know if I want to be to face down on the operating table with the doc over me. How will I know if he puts both hands on my shoulders? Hopefully it will be just an overnight stay. I need to party Saturday night because that’s our department Christmas party.

The bad part is I need to be dry for at least another 3 weeks so no more diving this year. Looks like I’ll miss our Christmas and New Year’s Day dumb butts crashing into the water dives.

But that means I’ll be fresh for our January training which should be our try to drown the team pool training plus some open water stuff.

For my guys that are reading this, Lane B and I have been talking and you can't call in sick!!!!!!

Gary D

Gary:

Glad to hear they finally isolated the problem and it is repairable. Amazing what they are doing for surgery these days and the recovery periods. They had me up and walking around a hour after lower back surgery 5 years ago. You should feel pretty rested after they shoot you up with the good stuff and you're out for an hour or two.

Take care of yourself, LISTEN to the doctor's recovery procedures, and have a Merry Christmas not worrying about the amateur drunks going swimming.

Dan

Gary,

Good to hear you are getting patched up and I pray the fix works. You and Wobbles have a wonderful Christmas and New Years.

Gary,

Best of luck with the surgery. I hope the Docs can load you up so you are pain free. I suspect your teammates had better watch out for the January and February training. With all of that pent up frustration of not being able to dive, I suspect a lot of bottom time is planned for January and February.

For all it's worth, the temperature here dropped into the 60's last night but should return to the mid 70s by noon. The water is freezing cold too, also in the 60s.

If you can't get your January and February training dives in, possibly you can load the team up and come on down to Vero Beach. Our team is planning a complete DRI training series over a six week period beginning at the end of January and concluding at the begining of March.

Blades

Good luck with the surgery Gary, about time they got things figured out!

We'll be out playing in the canals on Friday, many of our new guys haven't been in them yet, I'm sure we'll be nice to them the first time though. :D

It sounds like Gary will be busy with other things other than getting wet!!!! How's that Crown Vic working these days Gary?

Records were similarly smashed in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, with 25 inches of snow. The past record was 16 inches in 1955.

"It has eclipsed any previous records by a significant amount," said John Livingston, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in eastern Washington.

Police asked drivers to stay home, help neighbors shovel out driveways and check on elderly residents.

We're just inundated with accidents, stranded motorists," said Coeur d'Alene police Sgt. Christie Wood. "People are just leaving their cars where they're stuck and walking away. The tow trucks just can't possibly keep up."

It sounds like Gary will be busy with other things other than getting wet!!!! How's that Crown Vic working these days Gary?

Records were similarly smashed in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, with 25 inches of snow. The past record was 16 inches in 1955.

"It has eclipsed any previous records by a significant amount," said John Livingston, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in eastern Washington.

Police asked drivers to stay home, help neighbors shovel out driveways and check on elderly residents.

We're just inundated with accidents, stranded motorists," said Coeur d'Alene police Sgt. Christie Wood. "People are just leaving their cars where they're stuck and walking away. The tow trucks just can't possibly keep up."

It's still coming down but I'm down for the count again. In January I was in the hospital when we set a snowfall record. So where was I for this one? Back in the hospital. I was expecting a three week lay up but it will be about double that. The surgery itself went well but due to some big thick neck muscles he had to cut a lot more to open me up enouh to get to the bone. I wound up staying overnight which turned out to be a good thing.

Right now my neck can't support the weight of my arms without giving birth through it. Thank god for the Oxy but oh my god, the flash backs aren't good. The doc put me on a 0# lifting weight restriction for 3 weeks. I can notice some improvement already but I hope it isn't just the drugs.

Had enough already and back to bed.

Gary D.

Gary. You have had enough already. Time to get this stuff over with.

Hoping you make it well enough through the holidays. Stay away from the 24" of snow you have, stay in bed. Get well.

Back
Top Bottom