Dec 30th 2024 New Year cruise and dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandDiversHI

Contributor
Reaction score
Aloha cruisers,
I've been planning dive trips for 20 years (own/owned a LDS on Oahu). 2025 onward just doing dive travel.
One of our planned "retirement" activities is scuba from cruise ships. We did our first cruise only a relatively few years ago and frankly were surprised at how much we enjoyed it.
However, the last thing I wanted to do was go with the cruise ship operator for scuba. I've seen those contracts (considered one) and they are super aggressively one-sided in favor of the cruise line. Not my first choice.

So, I started looking at operators that would reserve a boat for me, on my cruise ship schedule. I've got the first one set up for the Dec 30th sailing on the Carnival Breeze. Two stops for diving, Cozumel and Costa Maya. I have reserved boats for 16 divers (including myself and Sheila) and have 6 spots left for diving. I'm doing all the planning. With taxis and without gear rental I expect less than $300 for 4 dives. Two in each port.

Sheila (my +1 and my travel agent) is booking the cruise for all the people (right now it is about 50/50 divers and non-divers, a few of which are family). If you would like to join us you can contact her at bluehattravel@gmail.com

Only two requirements:
1) you use Sheila as your travel advisor (booking agent) for the cruise, and
2) if you are diving you are at least 15, have logged 20 dives, and have dove within the last year or done a pool refresher.

The whole point of this exercise is to do something a little more advanced than what you might get with the cruise ship operator, so we are not looking to sign up novice divers.

For example, I've made it clear to the Cozumel operator that we want to get to the Palancar area for our dives. I like Palancar Caves, and I'm thinking San Fransisco for the other dive, but maybe Santa Rosa. I'm less familiar with Costa Maya, so I'll leave it up to the operator.

This is our first venture into organized dive trips from a cruise ship, but here is the link to other trips I have planned that are upcoming in the next few years: Dive Travel | Island Divers Hawaii Dive Travel There are trip reports there if you want to check us out. The point here is that there may be some hiccups doing this first trip, but it is not my first time planning a dive trip. But if everything has to be perfect you might want to skip this one. We have another planned beginning of 2026.

The cruise itself is pricey because it is a holiday sailing. Up to about $900pp for an interior room. That is steadily climbing and the sailing will probably sell out. I'm sure it is going to be fun (we already have a solid group of friends and divers), but if works well as a dive trip, we'll add it to the things we plan regularly.

Sheila can get you a quote on the cruise and can tell you if we still have space on our private boats for diving. Once you are signed up for that I'll get a hold of you to plan the diving (do you need rental, nitrox, etc). But day of the diving it will just be "Meet me here, follow me".

Inquiry and cruise quote: bluehattravel@gmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom