Death on a Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not if he was dead before he landed!

What number do you dial to get 911?

If you're thinking of those accidents that some people call heart attacks and others claim are RB deaths, I have heard that hypoxia can cause a heart attack or heart attack-like symptoms, especially in a manner that would appear to be a natural heart attack during an autopsy. If you take a doctor who isn't an RB diver, you might get cause and effect confused. I just heard that, though, so it would be interesting to ask a doctor if that is possbile.

Sorry but its easy to tell Hypoxia from a heart attack. The ischeamic damage to the heart from an Infarct shows up easily in a post mortem. Symptoms are also very different (I'm a paramedic so have dealt with plenty of them)

One RB death was a confirmed Cardiac. Two others are suspected, but as the guys were diving solo and not recovered we will never know for sure

I can show you plenty of OC Cardiac arrests as well, and when you divide number of dives undertaken by deaths there is almost no difference between OC and RB fatality rates. You have to remember RB divers are doing more dives, deeper and longer than most and that balances the figures out

... understood the basic question just like I did. Has someone died on a rebreather?

It's a bit of a naughty heading, Jepuskar, because if one just flips over the board headings, one might assume somebody has pooped off on a rebreather ...

Then, when I read the post, I assumed like Munin that it was a classic Techdiver flame on "cardiac arrests" as euphemisms for RB deaths. It's a very popular take on the issue. :(

So, although I know it's a joke, and not directed against RB:s, let me follow up on Dive Mole's post and say that so far this year I know of only one (possible) RB death in the whole world , whereas there are at least five OC deaths in Northern Europe so far and the season proper hasn't even started yet! Heaven only knows how many OC deaths there have been in warmer climates, where OC diving is rife and nobody really keeps check of all the statistics.

Semantically speaking and to answer your question, BTW: No, the guy didn't die on his rebreather. He died before he hit it ...:D

How do we know he died before he hit it.......chances are he was not dead in the time it took from him to passout till he hit the rebreather..clinically I bet he was still alive.

Dear friends
Lets me first say that was a really nice joke and the answers were even better,
talking about death let me tell u this story and believe me these are true stories.
Since 6 years ago, every year I loose 2 of my friends in diving the OC,
· Last year 2 IT divers at 200m ( never came back )
1 free diver never came back
· one year before 1 girl at 100m
one guy found after 3 days at 85, and the
other women was found at 70m,she had
CPR for 10 minutes but she did not die.
· One year before a diver at 140 and so on, I lost more
than 10 friends this way and believe it or not
all of them are top diving tek instructors ( not kids)
I reached a point that I was so upset I wanted to through all
my equipment in the sea and never dive again ( cos I was so upset).
But on the other hand I do believe that there are 1000000 way
to die, and the purpose is 1 that God want u back. And life goes on.
So if the rebreather was the cos of death or the OC or a care , we cant
Do anything about it, and no one could before us. So lets not blame
The yellow box or this or that anymore cos this is the cycle of life .
:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom