Death of Young Woman Spurs Calls for Indiscriminate Sharks Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score
On April 17, 2017 a 17-year-old Australian woman, Laeticia Brouwer, was fatally attacked by a shark in Western Australia. This was the third fatal attack in the last year. This has gotten the federal and state governments interested in shark culling again. Shark culling is the use of traps to kill sharks in an attempt to stop attacks on humans, but it has controversial and has not been shown to stop attacks. Check out number 3 to read more
upload_2017-4-27_7-58-54.png

Sorry this is incorrect - our new premier has ruled out a cull preferring people take an ounce of personal responsibility and shark deterrent risk mitigation strategies they are still looking into - of course there are still sectors calling for a cull but it is not going to happen. Scientific research shows no evidence of their being the need for any form of cull.

The fact is, at this time of the year - we all KNOW it's sharky out there. There are daily shark beach closures, shark alert websites, beach closures are announced on radio and tv - it's a personal choice to go in the water. We are actually finding some great research into the GWS population and realising how little we know

McGowan's answer to shark attacks

Why did the great white travel 11,000km?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...l/news-story/1be09788bea700c8972bfa0df9355697

our new premier has ruled out a cull
Reading the links, he's leaving it up to others to decide. He only has a preference to not cull.

My good friend is one of many voices of opposition to the culling we have seen in Australia. As someone who is widely recognized in that country his voice is a loud one and his many public speaking events all discuss how amazing sharks are and why we need them.

Mind you, he used to be totally afraid of sharks...then lost his arm and leg to a shark and now dives with them and does all he can to protect them.

I know he has stated many times that the premier needs to do more and take the stance of conservation and has shown footage of how terrible the shark exclusion nets are to other marine life.

Sorry this is incorrect - our new premier has ruled out a cull preferring people take an ounce of personal responsibility and shark deterrent risk mitigation strategies they are still looking into - of course there are still sectors calling for a cull but it is not going to happen. Scientific research shows no evidence of their being the need for any form of cull.

The fact is, at this time of the year - we all KNOW it's sharky out there. There are daily shark beach closures, shark alert websites, beach closures are announced on radio and tv - it's a personal choice to go in the water. We are actually finding some great research into the GWS population and realising how little we know

McGowan's answer to shark attacks

Why did the great white travel 11,000km?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...l/news-story/1be09788bea700c8972bfa0df9355697
Thank you keeping us updated and well informed Wingy! It seems that the story we were getting our information about the attack was published a few days before the article you shared.

No problems - this is obviously a contentious issue after the last debacle from an arrogant and ill informed previous premier. No one would not feel for Letiticias family but at least some reason has been added to the rhetoric now under Mark MCGowan. Yes the federal government could overturn the protected status of the GWS but they are highly unlikely to given the negative reaction worldwide from Barnetts drumline catastrophe last year when all the scientific research has been found to show no evidence that would support a cull. If they were not willing to remove the protective status last year, I very much doubt they would do it this year. McGowan hasn't yet put any firm strategies into action, he's looking at all options. However I feel his statements that people must take an element of personal responsibility pretty much show where he is coming from

My good friend is one of many voices of opposition to the culling we have seen in Australia. As someone who is widely recognized in that country his voice is a loud one and his many public speaking events all discuss how amazing sharks are and why we need them.

Mind you, he used to be totally afraid of sharks...then lost his arm and leg to a shark and now dives with them and does all he can to protect them.

I know he has stated many times that the premier needs to do more and take the stance of conservation and has shown footage of how terrible the shark exclusion nets are to other marine life.

Here is a link to an article about my good friend I mentioned. He is not just a friend and brother but also an inspiration to me.

Paul De Gelder

Back
Top Bottom