Death & Life of Monterey Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shake-and-bake

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
"The Death & Live of Monterey Bay, A Story of Revival" by Stephen Palumbi and Carolyn Sotka. Recently published. Quick, entertaining read that chronicles how otter hunting violently upset the ecologic balance of the Bay, and how the Bay has survived that, overfishing of the sardine population, and other insults to return to a healthy and vibrant marine environment. Lots of interesting storys about the characters who were major players, from Julia Platt to Ricketts/Steinbeck to the Packards. Recommended.

Thanks for the suggestion. As a new Nor Cal diver who's interested in the marine life of Monterey I'll definitely have to check this one out :)

Checked it out from my school's library (I was the first one!) and just finished it :) Great book for anyone interested in some of the history behind the Monterey Bay... I can only imagine how amazing the marine life must have looked back in the late 1700's. Definitely strengthened my appreciation of the ocean.

"The story of Monterey shows how our actions, when out of sync with the natural rhythms of ocean life, can ruin that life. But it also shows that synchronizing with nature's patterns can help restore a bay."

If you enjoy Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, you'll enjoy this one... Now I gotta check out Ed Ricketts' Between Pacific Tides.

Glad you liked it! I also wanted to read Between Pacific Tides after reading this book. Found a 1960's edition through Amazon, but I haven't had time to dig into it yet.

I read this last week and really enjoyed it.

If has all sorts of real gems about places I know and have dove. For instance, I now know why it's called Lovers Point. Never would have guessed.

Definite recommendation. Thumb way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom