Death in Cocos from shark attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Kevin,
Some of these people posting could do with reading my book (unashamed plug!) Shark Bytes.

Oh, forgot to mention in previous, the 'plug' worked on me John, I just ordered a copy, knowing there ain't many places in the diving world you ain't been too. If there was ever a classical case of 'been there, done that and got the T-shirt' your it!

Best, KD

We do not demand that the ocean be made perfectly safe for us by altering its very nature.

RIGHT on brother! Rarely a truer phrase spoken!!

"Some stupid tiger shark culling" ... nice to see that you advocate wiping out marine life so you can dive without being bothered to look over your shoulder. Any other offending creatures you wish removed? Would you like us to repeal oceanography or physics so you don't have to worry about strong currents, the bends, oxygen toxicity, etc?

Scuba diving is entering a wilderness environment, and we are but visitors. Apex predators are as much a part of that environment as the water itself. The only way to counter them is to stay alert to your surroundings and have options for getting yourself out of that situation - just as you would for any other diving emergency.

A woman died in this incident, and that is a tragedy. So are the other deaths due to perils of the ocean reported in this forum. We mourn, we learn, we adapt, and we keep diving. We do not demand that the ocean be made perfectly safe for us by altering its very nature.

Where do you get that I advocate wiping out marine life? Have you ever encountered any diver who would advocate wiping out marine life? In 30 years of diving I've yet to come across a diver who wanted to destroy the marine environment.

Re-read please- "STUPID" refers to the act of tiger shark culling - as in "tiger shark culling would be stupid", not that tiger sharks are stupid.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I was told when I first got certified I'd be lucky to see a shark.

As you know there are places it's highly unlikely, and places nurse &/or reef sharks are all you're likely to see. If you're not spearing, reef sharks aren't likely to be a problem. The mainstream west coast diving off Bonaire is (in)famous for the lack of sharks. There are few places in the U.S./Caribbean region for 'reliable' (more or less) tiger shark encounters (e.g.: Jupiter (FL), Tiger Beach (Grand Bahama Island), Cocos Island).

I thought people headed to Cocos Island to see larger 'pelagic' life - schooling hammerheads in particular, but also tiger sharks (+ big schools of fish, mantas, whale sharks, white-tip sharks).

How big of a draw are the tiger sharks of Cocos Island to dive tourists? I thought part of the 'charm' of Cocos Island was to see tiger sharks without the baiting or feeding used at Jupiter or Tiger Beach.

Richard.

I thought people headed to Cocos Island to see larger 'pelagic' life - schooling hammerheads in particular, but also tiger sharks (+ big schools of fish, mantas, whale sharks, white-tip sharks).

The few times I went there it was to see Hammers and the other 'fish' you mention, admittedly 25 years or so years ago now, that is before the 'lust for rust' virus proved a fatal affliction. There was no mention or sightings of Tigers, or if so, so very very rarely that I never heard about it, but they certainly were not considered an attraction as it were back then.

How big of a draw are the tiger sharks of Cocos Island to dive tourists? I thought part of the 'charm' of Cocos Island was to see tiger sharks without the baiting or feeding used at Jupiter or Tiger Beach.

Interesting question. To those that have been there say in last five to ten years, is that really the 'lure' of Cocos these daze?

https://nypost.com/2017/12/03/wall-street-big-killed-by-shark-while-diving-in-costa-rica/
12/03/2017 at 2:11PM

"A 49-year-old Wall Street private equity manager was killed by a tiger shark while diving with a group off a Costa Rican island, according to officials."

If the facts are true in that report:

"According to a report in the local La Nacion, it was the group’s diving guide that noticed the shark approaching underwater and tried to scare it away. But as they surfaced, the shark swam directly at Bhandari and began biting her legs. The guide tried to assist, and also got bitten, according to the report."

That's an aggressive shark, not a case of mistaken identity, whatever got into that tiger's little brain wasn't good, if that's true that it intentionally came after them.

A guide "noticing the shark approaching underwater and tried to scare it away" means that guide recognized that tiger's behavior had moved beyond and non-threatening demeanor of just casually being in the water with them, it had behavior that alerted the guide to decide it required proactive measures to alter it's behavior or proximity, then further the guides actions were ignored by the shark as it's actions then intensified to attacking them, that's not good.

Last edited:
.................... as they surfaced, the shark swam directly at Bhandari and began biting her legs. The guide tried to assist, and also got bitten, according to the report.".

Of the few times I have been truly afraid of a shark/s (all in Oz) was on the surface after a dive. Had to fend a few of with camera/s at times, and get out of water ASAP. To a shark any 'animal' flapping about on the surface generally means it is in distress and hence easy prey, Simple as that sometimes, unfortunately

Last edited:
I wonder if a combination of shark conservation programs, warmer oceanic temperatures, and more people in the water are bringing more sharks into contact with humans? Also, the internet makes for almost instantaneous transmission of "shark news." Forty years ago, and before the movie "Jaws", a shark attack in Aussieland, would likely not make the news here, and vice versa. In those days, ignorance was bliss.

I wonder if a combination of shark conservation programs, warmer oceanic temperatures, and more people in the water are bringing more sharks into contact with humans? Also, the internet makes for almost instantaneous transmission of "shark news." Forty years ago, and before the movie "Jaws", a shark attack in Aussieland, would likely not make the news here, and vice versa. In those days, ignorance was bliss.
Maybe, not enough natural shark food is also a factor? Fewer turtles, fewer dolphins, fewer everything except us, humans.

Here is one of the Honakohau harbor eagle rays. "The one that got away" I call him.

Attachments

• 24448769871_4d14146a53_b.jpg
    24448769871_4d14146a53_b.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 116
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom