Death Frequency Data?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KenMizuko

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just want to know if there's a reliable estimate on how many people are killed doing recreational dives each year (by reliable, I mean corroborated reports, not just "stories").

I'm thinking of putting together a Dive Accident Information page on my site (http://www.scubasnorkel.com ), so any information would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken.

Some guy named "DAN" tries to keep track of these things...

KenMizuko:
Hi Everyone,

Just want to know if there's a reliable estimate on how many people are killed doing recreational dives each year (by reliable, I mean corroborated reports, not just "stories").

I'm thinking of putting together a Dive Accident Information page on my site (http://www.scubasnorkel.com ), so any information would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=138229

DAN publishes fatality information every year. It's always interesting to read.

In addition to the DAN numbers, which are either North American or US numbers, BSAC has some good data for UK incidents and UK divers.

IIRC, the North American scuba fatalities run around 100 per year, and haven't changed much even as the number of divers has increased dramatically.

Ken:

Where did you get this info? People exploding? Have you ever seen this happen?

I took this from your website under the gear section.

"Depth, when scuba diving, is tracked using a Depth Gauge. Time is tracked using a specially made scuba-diving watch (no, your regular waterproof watch will NOT do). These two measures, depth and time, will allow you to calculate decompression before coming up as well as your residual nitrogen for your next dive. Improper air and nitrogen management can kill you; there are countless stories of people "exploding" from improper decompression."

"A defective gauge, however slight, can cost you your life."

"A wetsuit is necessary for virtually all scuba diving conditions. Ocean water, however warm, robs your body of heat. You'll need a wetsuit to keep you from freezing."

"If you dive alot, you'll probably need a knife, especially if you plan on collecting samples. A knife also comes in handy if you get caught on something and, in rare cases, can help you get away from a shark or barracuda attack."

"Let's get one thing straight: scuba diving is serious business. When you're underwater, you're out of your natural habitat. One mistake, however simple or small, can kill you."

I've been diving for almost 30 years and I have never seen an exploding diver.Nor a lot of the other stuff you dramatized.

Ok I'll stop now.

KenMizuko:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Ken.

Ken,

I recommend a little less drama, and a little more fact in what you post on your web page (I went and took a look). I have not seen one story about a scuba diver "exploding" from not decompressing. I have been using a standard water proof watch for my dive times for 5 years now. It takes a licking, and keeps ticking, and hasn't caused me to explode yet.

Ken

gotta give PerroneFord full credit for this one:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

is this REALLY how SCUBA is perceived? friend trained non c-card folks running around in non blistered well fitting booties in rented wetsuits with nice clear masks in dark and murky water with all their snorkel conserved oxygen in non snorkel fins to easily swim around in their heavy and clunky impossible underwater movement of their equipment in case of a knife wielding episode in the case of a barracuda attack so they can avoid exploding?

because remember: If you missed our emphasis before, this is another good reason to take a scuba diving course, since you'll be able to test out the different kinds of weight systems before making a purchase decision.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

To your original question ..... DAN does have good records (worldwide) on this subject.

And personally I second that you may wanna revisit your website wording and look into "toning" it down a little, sure scuba diving has very REAL hazards, but emphasis on fun and enjoyment is probably what people who don't know anything about our sport are probably looking for.....words like kill,explode and shark attack may not be what they want to see initially !!!

To your original question ..... DAN does have good records (worldwide) on this subject.

And personally I second that you may wanna revisit your website wording and look into "toning" it down a little, sure scuba diving has very REAL hazards, but emphasis on fun and enjoyment is probably what people who don't know anything about our sport are probably looking for.....words like kill,explode and shark attack may not be what they want to see initially !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom