Death at Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TM,

That is all I could find on it and I usually have lots of answers about diver deaths (I do a lot of accident analysis and read more than I should...). I suppose some choad reporter in the middle of nowhere does not have access to technical resources to bounce diving medicine queries off of...dunno. I haven't heard mention of it on any of my regular lists, so I am in the dark too...

Regardless, if what MikeFerrara speaks is the truth they really need to get some equipment and instruction standards out there nailed down...5 free flows in one weekend is crazy talk.

--Eric

Interesting that they (he and his buddy) decided to surface and then (assuming they stayed together) both made a rapid ascent...I think we will hear more about this as it comes out...

I think I'm better now. I do tend to get a little flustered, don't I? Anyone who teaches or supervises diving, regardless of how good they are, runs the risk of loosing one. I think most of us consider the implications though we don't often speak of it. We would like to believe that we adequately prepare our students for the next step and that we are good enough to recognize and get control of a situation before it gets out of hand. But...there is more to diving than the pretty pictures in the magazines would lead you to believe.

I agree with Ray.
I have seen a lot of instructors violate padi standards and it is a wonder that students learn or acquire useable skills.
It goes to show you the importance of using trained divemasters in ow classes.

I know it is almost impossible to know when a student is going to bolt (I have controlled three my self,(when I was divemastering)) but it goes to show you why instructor need to use more divemasters.

Scott :worried:

On issues of life or death, I welcome such rants! Those of us who are considering cave diving need to hear exactly why these accidents are so frequent & how we can evaluate whether a class we are considering is right for us.

Marketting & sales drives growth on many sides of this sport, but there are limits. Selling a class to 10 people is a great way to maximize profits, but if students keep getting hurt & dying, the industry will eventually lose more than it could have gained. Please be honest till it hurts (us, not you.)

the accident at Gilboa is still under investigation. what little we know about what happened, was described by Dr. Colopy's (very shaken) dive buddy. what I know as fact: Dr. Colopy was pulled from the water & given immediate medical attention within minutes of surfacing. all of the responding divers (EMTs, Medics, RNs, & law enforcement) did everything they possibly could to revive Dr. Colopy at the scene. local Sheriff's Deputies were on the scene within 5 minutes of the 911 call (this call was made while the victim was still in the water). I was extremely impressed that a group of basic strangers worked together like a well oiled machine to try to save this man's life.
the events of Sunday were very sobering for all of us at Gilboa on Sunday. my thoughts & prayers go out to Dr. Colopy's family & friends. I pray that the rest of us never have to receive the phone call that his wife received on Sunday.
Kim

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
I think I'm better now. I do tend to get a little flustered, don't I? Anyone who teaches or supervises diving, regardless of how good they are, runs the risk of loosing one.

I never lost a student but I lost a boat passenger once, a snorkeler of all things, on a picture perfect day too. One never knows who or when and once it's happened one never forgets and never looks at things quite the same way again.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom