Deaf divers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was talking about this in my shop today! I'm in ASL 103 right now, and I was saying how I was suprised diving agencies havn't embraced ASL yet...seems common sense to me. I was also thinking about on the way home, how many dive markets have ASL instructors, or if interpreters are the way y'all go?

I would rather enjoy having some dive buddies that knew ASL, I'm a little clutsy with it, but I'm sure that gives you fluent signers something to laugh about later. I'm in the seattle area, so if any of y'all want to dive, I'm free most of the time.

..speaking of ASL, gatta get to the homework...come up with an ABC story, teacher wants it to involve diving... *sigh, any ideas?

Kevin...while ASL is wonderful underwater (I use it all the time!), the only drawback is that it isn't universal...heck, there are even different signs across the USA for the same concept! When I was in my ASL/interpreting classes long ago, I met someone from Oregon, who was telling me about his visit to So Cal...he kept signing "rooster" throughout his story.....I'm thinking oO(What was a rooster have to do with Universal Studios?)...I realized that he was talking about getting up "early" to go to the amusement parks....a completely different sign we use for early here....Texas even uses a different sign from Oregon and CA...they fingerspell "early" while moving their hand in an arc similar to the sun rising....so to try to universalize ASL would be extremely difficult.

I have interpreted scuba classes and there's one major difficulty....being ASL is SO conceptual, when the student(s) takes their exams or do the knowledge reviews, the vocabulary can be very complex where the accompanying sign might be simple and the student does not make the correlation when studying independently (at home, etc.)...this became an obvious difference during the classes I've interpreted.

cool, I'll PM him sometime.

what's the sign for scuba diving?

Why wait - PM him now! He's always looking for buddies to dive with :D
Don't worry about being 'rough' with your signs either. He's a patient guy and carries little notebooks to communicate with those of us who don't know ASL :wink:

WADiverBob showed me - Diver: Flat hand for the water surface, other hand "swims" down from the "surface"

There are several deaf SCUBA divers in the SOCAL area, but I am not aware of any club for them and I have heard several comment that they would like to link up with other deaf divers. Might be a good idea to post in the deaf communities forums on non-scuba sites and see if you can start something.

But if you are just looking for a dive buddy, then lets go diving. I have dove with deaf divers in the past, no big deal, a 3x5 card to discuss the dive plan and review basic SCUBA hand signals before the dive and we are off.

I have dove a few times with WADiverBob both in California and WA, a very compentent and conservative SCUBA diver not to mention a great guy.

We are 2 deaf divers couple Neil & Kimi that would love to meet and dive with other deaf divers.
We have a liveaboard trip booked for next Dec 21-28 2013 on the Explorer Venture in the Turks and Caicos.
If you book it before Jan 31 you get $500 off per person from the normal rate.
So we are saving $1000 for couple.
We would like to invite other deaf divers to join us so that we have more fun being able to sign with.
If you or any other deaf are interested please let us know here or P.M.
Here is some info about the live aboard Explorer Venture
Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Liveaboard Diving
Explorer Ventures Liveaboard Diving: Specials

Back
Top Bottom