Dead Scooter Towed Diver Signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From GUE cave manual:

4.6.3 Touch Contact: Zero Visibility Communication:

In such a situation, one continuous firm squeeze indicates "STOP", a forward push means "move forward", and a backward tug means, "back up."

So, same same for scooter communication?

Yes. All basically on the back of the thigh. In a cave (swimming) they'd be on the upper arm. I don't know where the multiple squeezes came from that's not SOP.

Yes. All basically on the back of the thigh. In a cave (swimming) they'd be on the upper arm. I don't know where the multiple squeezes came from that's not SOP.

I seem to recall multiple squeezes being shown for something, but I don't remember what. Might have been a different technical agency training of some kind. I think the argument against multiple squeezes and pushes and pulls is that the "reset" portion of a push is a pull and the reset portion of a pull is a push........."so what was that again?"..............

I think I remember know; I believe it was some cross over from rope signals?? Does that sound right? One pull, answered by two pulls? Guess you will have to start carrying rope now.......

I don't know where the multiple squeezes came from that's not SOP.
Multiple squeezes are still talked about in the IANTD overhead material, though it's phrased as an option, like, "...forward push or one squeeze." And if you've ever read the IANTD material, you'd know why I'm asking here in the DIR forum! :shakehead:

I'm taking the IANTD technical deep wreck penetration class at the end of next month on the Jodrey (St. Lawrence river) and have been wading through the antiquated material. Fortunately my instructor warned me that the books and slides are junk.

I think I remember know; I believe it was some cross over from rope signals?? Does that sound right? One pull, answered by two pulls? .......

Sounds right but it depends on where you are. I think most of the ice diving guys here teach 1 pull for more rope, 2 for pull in and multiple pulls for emergency.

Of course there are variations from shop to shop.

And then there are those of us that use cave diving protocol to ice dive and don't have to worry about all that nonsense.

I don't know why there are all these rope signals getting into the lexicon.
Push = go
Pull = back up
Squeeze = stop (similar to a fist = hold)

Beyond that its just an exercise in holding on and not "banking". Once one of the divers starts to rotate its a pita to undo with doubles and stages etc.

The crotch strap is the traditional place to tow from although it wears on the arm a bit. You can also put the tow-er's calves in your armpits and wrap your arms around their knees. Works fairly well, let's you shift position a little as time goes on.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom