Dd's Akumal report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well, I'm back and planning the next trip...
However....
Arrived at the Akumal Beach resort on the 9th of May. What a great place! 168 beach front, air conditioned, ocean view rooms. I have stayed at The Palladium, Barcelo Maya, Allegro Playacar, Hyatt Cancun Caribe, among others, and the ABR was my favorite even though its only 3 stars or apples, or what have you. It is not fancy, just really nice! Its Italian owned and that is reflected in the great food, International clientel, and layed back atmosphere. Its intimate, set on a great beach, and is only a three minute walk to town. The rooms are nice and clean. Showers are good and plumbing consistent. No elevators, so its an effort if you are on an upper floor. I didn't mind since we live at 8800 feet and anything at sea level seems easy! There is a dive op on sight, but its intro-to-scuba oriented so we went to Akumal Dive Shop.

We did a lot of snorkeling with our family and it was amazing! Right in front of the hotel are some incredible reefs. We saw 3 species of turtle. One of the biggest turtles I've ever seen..including in Hawaii, Huge 3 or 4 foot long Rainbow parrotfish, many sting rays, The biggest Barracuda that I've ever seen...esp. from 2 feet away! Big green morays swimming freely, and every tropical reef fish. It was almost better than diving! Also snorkeled Yal-ku lagoon. I'm glad I tried it, but the reef infront of the hotel was better.

Akumal Dive Shop. The reefs are 3 minutes boat ride. I was lucky enough to dive alone with the DM so I had a great time, and long bottom times. James Goddard sums the dive experience up really well in his report. I have done many dives at Akumal in the past, but only 2 this year due to arriving with a head cold. I shook that cold pretty quickly and got a bunch of dives in in Coz. That report will be under the Coz forum.

Food. The buffet and Italian and Mexican a la carte Restraunts at the hotel were so good that we only ventured out to dinner once. Cueva del Pescador. The service wasn't as good, nor was the margarita, as I remembered, but I will definitely give them another chance. The lobster was great..and its the way to go. My dad caught a Mahi while deep sea fishing that day, and I think that we ate it that night at the Cueva..it was awesome as well. We had drinks and snacks at La Buena Vida on a couple of occasions, and delicious Ice cream from the ice cream stand.

I will go back to Akumal over and over again. Next time I will go to Coz first and then to Akumal to relax. For an overall vacation experience, its great!
As James Goddard says, the reason to dive there is the cenotes, so I should be happy with the ocean and reef dives in Coz, and a few in Akumal, with most of the focus going toward the cenotes.
James and his family are really great people. I hope to spend some dive-time and SI time with them in the future. :cheers:
Went to Tulum for the 6th time..its still awesome!
By the way, the weather was perfect the entire time, including Coz. 12 days of paradise!
I will post some pics asap.

Divedoggie:
Cueva del Pescador. The service wasn't as good, nor was the margarita, as I remembered, but I will definitely give them another chance. The lobster was great..and its the way to go.

I agree. After I tasted my dish and then my wife's lobster, I wish I had gone the other route, It was a delicious lobster.

Divedoggie:
I will go back to Akumal over and over again. Next time I will go to Coz first and then to Akumal to relax. For an overall vacation experience, its great!

If you are doing both, that would definatly be the way to go. Though in that case I don't think I would bother with ocean dives at all. After diving Coz, Akumal would be a disappointment.

Divedoggie:
James and his family are really great people. I hope to spend some dive-time and SI time with them in the future. :cheers:

Than you. I enjoyed our brief meetings. Hopefully next time we'll get to dive togther. You learn a great deal about people on dive boats :D.

James

Glad you had a nice trip DD. It is amazing what you'll see in Akumal Bay and Half Moon Bay in 2-5 ft of water! Barry is the resident baracudda you met. He's usually got a ton of tropicals with him. The friendly turtles are always great to see. Did you night snorkel? That's a great experience. In Half Moon Bay in December we are treated to Eagle Rays and turtles right from our balcony almost every day. Last year we had an Eagle Ray come within a few feet of the boat while we were loading up. Very cool.

You and James have absolutely confirmed my impression of Akumal Dive Shop, in spite of it being the one that so many people recommend. I used them once only and that was enough. I've been diving with Akumal Dive Adventures (on Half Moon Bay) for the past few years and have a very different impression of Akumal ocean diving. I've done about 30 dives there and have never gone to the motorcycle site or the fishing boat. ADA heads out about 5-10 min from Half Moon Bay (straight out and also slightly north) and the reefs are very lush, lots of hard and soft coral and lots of fish, turtles and rays and even some swim throughs. Our dive time is always based on our air and computers. We've never been hustled back or rushed through the dive to meet a schedule. We usually do a day or 2 of cenotes, and the rest ocean dives and are happy with them.

We did the Akumal/Cozumel combo trip last month and really liked it. Coz is a crazy metropolis both on and off the water compared to Akumal! We're doing 9 days in Dec. First 4 days of diving in Coz (Fiesta Americana & Living Underwater) and then 5 days in Akumal (Vista del Mar condo, ADA for ocean and not sure yet who for a couple cenote days).

Yes...Barry was surrounded by an massive school of tropical fish. He was the center of the doughnut! Somehow, I got isolated between his little friends and Barry. He turned and looked menacingly at me...I backed very slowly through that mass of fish and appreciated him from afar!
I really like the pace in Akumal. I am willing to try ADA next-time. I checked them out when we were at La Buena Vida. Although I agree with James on Coz being better diving than Akumal, I also believe that they are simply different. The slow pace, Elkhorn coral formations, and different sealife, make it worthwhile. DIving in Akumal and the cenotes is a bonus. The beaches, ruins, no-hustle, etc., make Akumal one of my favorite places in the world.

I liked both places and would dive Akumal on its own. I guess as a less experienced Diver I'm still impressed by the lushness of the plant life and fish. We never got up to snorkel at the main beach...Green Moray's...wish I had. Well thats good enough reason to go back! Yal ku ran us smack into one of the biggest baracudas we saw and less than 5 feet away .

Back
Top Bottom