DCS or just plain exhusted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think everyone is missing an important point in the story. Being on a liveaboard means there is a high probability that she was just seasick. I've seen numerous seagoers that have slept well beyond the recommended 8 hours because they were mildly motion sick. I don't think I've ever slept so well and deeply as the nights I've spent rocking in my bunk from the motion of the ocean.

Seasickness. Jet lag. Physical exhaustion. Some other type of sickness/ailment.
All of these are possible.
However, when you take the history, hear that the diver experienced a (potentially rapid) uncontrolled ascent from 100 fsw and then reported sleeping 20 hours soon thereafter, at the very least you have to start entertaining the thought of the more serious diagnosis of DCI.
But all of this is beside the point.

What some of us are arguing about is the best practice for a diver who experiences a rapid, uncontrolled ascent from significant depth.

Seasickness. Jet lag. Physical exhaustion. Some other type of sickness/ailment.
All of these are possible.
However, when you take the history, hear that the diver experienced a (potentially rapid) uncontrolled ascent from 100 fsw and then reported sleeping 20 hours soon thereafter, at the very least you have to start entertaining the thought of the more serious diagnosis of DCI.
But all of this is beside the point.

What some of us are arguing about is the best practice for a diver who experiences a rapid, uncontrolled ascent from significant depth.
Exactly. And if it is a healthy diver, that has reasonable bouyancy skills as this girl appeared to have ( with the exception of her "event") I think the mass of research on rapid ascents indicates that the diver should go right back down, in a few seconds, unless they foolishly/ignornatly, stupidly, held their breath on the ascent...it should be automatic to purposely be breathing out if you feel your self rising upwards at speed....this should be intuitive, and reflexive for any decent diver.

In this rapid ascent scenario, which happens occaisionally without any damage whatever on surfacing, the diver needs to be able to assess the situation themself, and make the smartest choice for their next move.....If the Agency position is maintained, they will "not know the truth of their situation", and are likely to cause an injury to themselves, due to this misconception of how long it takes for bubbles to form in the blood....why should all recreational divers be lied to ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom