DCS and knee replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wstdst1

Reaction score
Dear Dr Deco, what is the current thinking on DCS and total knee replacement? My knee was replaced 5 months ago, and now has good range of motion and fully recovered muscle tone. Should I continue to use my dive computer for decompression management, or should I add additional conservatism for repetitive dives to depths in the 50 to 100ft range?

I would be interested in this too, I am 3 months out from a total knee. I have good range of motion and I am working with a trainer at my gym 3 days a week to regain my muscle tone.

Although the surgery on both my knees was not as extensive as a TKR, I had all the meniscus,and articulating cartilage removed from the medial compartments in both knees. After 4 months of intensive physio and number of calls to DAN and other medical professionals regarding the possible increase in DCS, I had resumed diving.

Knock on wood (hitting head), I've accumulated about 25 hours underwater in both cold and warm water environments with an average depth of 45' with no issues.

Since my future will involve a HKR or even TKRs, I'm interested in any information on the topic as well!

Cheers,

Jim

Hi wstdst1,

No published studies have been conducted on this matter, but there appears to be nothing about the nature of a fully successful TKR that would meaningfully increase the risk of DCI in recreational SCUBA.

There should be no significant swelling, redness, looseness or pain in or around the joint even after moderate use, and the orthopedic surgeon should have released the patient for full physical activity, including diving. If DAN does so as well, that's icing on the cake.

The diver with TKR will want to be cautious not to fall or twist the knee while on deck or performing shore entries/exits. Whenever possible, don and doff gear in the water. Climbing a boat ladder or steep incline after a dive with gear still on definitely should be avoided. Also, it would be wise to avoid any other strenuous activity involving the knee for several hours before and after a dive.

Of course, even for the diver without a prosthesis, shorter, shallower dives; longer safety stops and surface intervals; deep stops where indicated; and using nitrox if so certified, are prudent.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom