DCS alternative therapy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverRtNY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Coming from a newb but a question I've rationalized and haven't heard it mentioned before... I hear of divers who are within the guidelines of the tables' recommendations and other who aren't who show signs and symptoms of DCS. Everyone's body is different. Makes sense. Now it's treatment time... oxygen.... hyperbaric/decompression chamber. The idea in hyperbaric is increasing atmospheric pressure...in a nutshell. Question time:
Why not (obviously unless symptoms are too intense) getting back in water and hanging at safety stop depth for a prolonged period of time? Perhaps with a higher O2 concentration? Under supervision with a trained professional in perfect circumstances?
I apologize if this has been brought up in the past and I imagine this has been tried in past as treatment, but clearly isn't protocol so any explanation to help me grasp the anatomy and physiology of DCS and treatment?
Thanks again for thoughts and insights

Dave

This is called in-water-recompression. The problem is, you will need to use oxygen (ideally) and be very close to the limit of depths that can safely dived with pure oxygen. In addition, the DCS itself can cause you to have all sorts of medical problems, such as hypotension, which could cause loss of consciousness. Basically, the chances of losing consciousness or having a seizure while doing the recompression is high and therefore risk is high as well.
Also, the amount of time that it takes for a full treatment is much,much longer than a normal safety stop. Hypothermia becomes a significant factor. And, having enough gas for you and an attendant to do the treatment can be logistically difficult.
Many tech divers consider this an option, if diving in very remote places without a chamber. It's not ideal but may be the only option at times. Most feel that a full face mask and some sort of system to keep the diver tethered is important.
Good question,though.

Tracy already gave a terrific answer above. It might interest you, though, that there is a similar procedure in case of omitted deco. In this case, the diver is not showing any signs or symptoms, but he did not perform all the decompression stops that were required by his planning. There are guidelines, then, for how much deco he should do try and compensate for the inadequate deco, in order to avoid DCS. The Navy diving manual contains prescriptions for such procedures.

It must be stressed, once more, that omitted deco procedure and in water recompression are very different in the risks offered and general acceptance.

Getting cold and having enough oxygen? My understanding is that these 2 simple issues tend to make the theory impractical in the real world.

Chamber rides described here on scubaboard often last multiple hours (up to 6?). I'm am unsure what is typical.

Not sure that any dive operation has that much oxygen available. Not sure that any diver has that much thermal protection available.

Many good points already made and excellent info on the links provided so wont flog the horse any further. From a purely practical point of view however, if you were to purposefully attempt any in water reco - or any emergency procedures for that matter - not covered in training/certification courses you have taken and become qualified for, its unlikely your insurance would pay out for resulting treatment.

Last edited:
From a purely practical point of view however, if you were to purposefully attempt any in water reco - or any emergency procedures for that matter - not covered in training/certification courses you have taken and become qualified for, its unlikely your insurance would pay out for resulting treatment.

That's an interesting point, and one that has come up in a couple of other threads recently.

Of course, each contract and insurance company is a unique case, but I did look at the contract for DAN insurance (a common form of dive insurance), and I couldn't find anything about that in the policy. Maybe I missed it, but I did a search for the terms "training", "qualification" and "certification" - still nothing.

I wonder if some insurance policies do actually look at your training and qualifications?

Thank you all for your responses. Glad I wasn't completely missing the concept of DCS. Article was very educational. IWR lasting anywhere from 3 hours to days truly makes the IWR predisposed to more hazards than benefits. It seems to be beneficial in severe cases in remote areas but along with that comes the risks you mentioned involving hypotension/ hypothermia/ seizure-like-activity among others. All this on top of the hazards associated with oxygen toxicity from both the pulmonary standpoint and from the central nervous system. That alone seems to be a tight rope walked intentionally as part of the treatment for DCS. I'm curious if some of the side effects associated with DCS is secondary because of the treatment FOR DCS ( high oxygen under elevated partial pressures). Or if they (DCS and oxygen toxicity) both have interlacing signs and symptoms. Did the chicken or the egg come first...
Thanks again for knowledge is key, and I will continue to further my education in all realms associated with this amazing new "lifestyle" I have recently been introduced to. If only I wasn't residing in Upstate NY! But I do fully intend to take advantage of my locations with the Great Lakes!

From a purely practical point of view however, if you were to purposefully attempt any in water reco - or any emergency procedures for that matter - not covered in training/certification courses you have taken and become qualified for, its unlikely your insurance would pay out for resulting treatment.

Hi Goodtime Adventures,

Health insurers almost certainly would not cover this procedure, regardless of training/certification courses.

DAN plans would not cover this procedure without preapproval.

For a much more complete treatment of IWR than presented in the Alert Diver article linked above, see the below on in water recompression that I wrote for Undercurrent :

"In-Water Recompression (IWR)

You’ve sustained DCS in a remote location, many hours by air from the nearest hyperbaric chamber. The air ambulance cannot fly due to weather, and even if it could it’s uncertain if the chamber is fully operational. What to do? Some divers, especially those of a technical inclination, might respond, “How about in-water recompression?”

Not to be confused with the technique of re-entering the water to complete a missed deco obligation, IWR uses the pressure of water itself coupled with breathing high concentrations of O2 immediately following the first signs or symptoms of DCS.

The 4 primary techniques for IWR are commonly referred to as the Australian, U.S. Navy, Hawaiian, & Pyle methods. While each method differs somewhat & requires its own equipment, all methods require personnel knowledgeable in IWR, skilled tenders & adequate supplies of pure O2 or other gas.

All are precluded if the diver is unconscious, in shock or shows paralysis, vertigo or respiratory distress, or is seemingly unable to complete the procedure due to factors such as fear or possible hypothermia. Additionally, all variants direct that appropriate emergency transport be requested immediately and that medical attention be received as soon as possible even in those cases of IWR which appear completely successful.

Generally, mixes with higher concentrations of O2 are preferred over those with lower ones given their higher potential for off-gassing nitrogen, although any concentration above normoxic is superior to compressed air. One hundred percent O2 is recommend by all variants of IWR, although since the risk of O2 induced convulsions increases with increasing PO2 at least one expert has opined that 80% my be more appropriate. Whatever mix is used, it is best inspired via a full-face mask if possible. Not only does this help to insure that gas is available during a possible seizure, but the positive pressure aspect of most full-face masks promotes maximal O2 delivery, and their design may even bestow some thermal benefits. It is a decided plus if the mask has an integrated communications system.

IWR was possibly first applied to bent sponge divers off Key West by “Doc” Axle Buckmeister back in the late 1800s. More formalized forms have long been practiced by Hawaiian diving fishermen and Australian pearl & abalone divers. Veteran technical diving expert Bret Gilliam has knowledgeably written on the topic. It has been most recently & vigorously championed by Richard Pyle, a diver-academic currently working in the ichthyology collection at Bishop Museum in Honolulu & completing a Ph.D. in the Department of Zoology at the University of Hawaii. Another solid supporter is Dr. Ann Kristovich, Women Divers Hall of Fame member & co-leader of The Proyecto De Buceo Espeleologico Mexico Y America Central. She holds that if travel time to a recompression chamber would take longer than 30 minutes, the time frame of the “Hawaiian Method” of IWR discussed below, then IWR is recommended.

Not surprisingly, major recreational dive training agencies are very circumspect regarding IRW. PADI Educational Consultant Leroy Wickham told me that IWR is not taught in any of their programs, nor would the procedure be recommended except under extraordinary circumstances and then only by qualified & properly equipped personnel. Several technical agencies, IANTD & TDI among them, briefly touch on IWR as part of their curriculum for trimix classes, and the entire procedure for the Australian variant is published in IANTD’s “Technical Diver Encyclopedia.” In a phone conversation, the encyclopedia’s author and IANTD founder Tom Mount reported that IANTD does not yet teach IWR because of its lack of broad acceptance. He includes a caveat that IWR is only to be done by qualified & properly equipped individuals in remote areas where a chamber is not readily available. When pressed for an example of such a location, he named Bikini, where chamber treatment could be 36 hours away. Fascinatingly, he mentioned performing the technique on about 15 divers over the years, including his wife during a trip a Roatan before a chamber was available there. His reported success rate is a startling 100%.

Dive medicine organizations express a similar prudence, indicating that such factors as fatigue, cold, panic, seasickness or an exhausted gas supply can result in incomplete treatment and a worsening of the DCS due to additional nitrogen on-loading. Not to be overlooked are such things as possible 02 induced convulsions, hypothermia, risk to tending divers, and the list goes on. Joel Dovenbarger, RN, Vice President of Medical Services at DAN, told me IWR should only be considered in those unique remote areas of the world where conventional & proven methods are not available, and where there are the requisite trained personnel & logistical support. Overseas, the recommendation of the 1996 Second European Consensus Conference on the Treatment of Recreational Diving Decompression Accidents was that “in water recompression should never be performed as the initial recompression.”

Despite warnings from various agencies, the sobering reality is that in Type II hits with serious vascular obstruction, irreversible tissue damage to brain can occur after about 7 minutes, to spinal cord after about 15 minutes & to lung after about 10-20 minutes. In addition, research has consistently shown that the sooner DCS of any nature is treated, the more salubrious the outcome.

Leaving aside the practical arguments for and agency positions on IWR, there is a strong theoretical basis to speculate that the procedure could be beneficial if applied correctly. Expected would be a reduction in bubble growth due to both increased pressure and the washout of nitrogen by high blood levels of O2. Additionally, the increased PO2 from breathing pure oxygen could mitigate tissue hypoxia secondary to gas embolization.

Clearly the proper place for IWR lies within the field of technical diving due to both the training received and gases used. This seems appropriate, as technical divers are probably the most likely to get DCS, and the most likely to get bent in venues inconvenient to medical care & hyperbaric facilities.

The following discussion of each technique are simplified, but convey their essences.

Australian
The most popular to date, the Australian procedure mandates continuous breathing of 100% oxygen at a depth of 30’for 30 minutes for mild symptoms up to 90 minutes for severe ones. As a rule of thumb, it seems prudent to remain at the target depth for as close to the maximum time as diver & environmental conditions allow. Ascent rate is not to exceed 1’per 4 minutes, and inspiration of pure O2 is to continue for 1 hour periods interrupted with 1 hour breaks for a period of 12 continuous hours. (Also see * below)

Hawaiian
Reasoning that increased atmospheres provide increased reduction in bubble size, the Hawaiian method directs a “spike” on air to 30’ deeper than the depth at which symptoms resolve, but not more than 165’, for 10 minutes. The diver then ascends to 30’ and breathes surface supplied oxygen for prolonged periods. Any O2 still on board after surfacing is to be finished. It remains uncertain whether the increased NO2 uptake occasioned by the air spike is offset by the increased pressure effect, and this may well be one reason it is not recommended by as many proponents as the Australian method. The additional depth involved also has obvious drawbacks. In the absence of equipment necessary for surface supplied O2, the procedure easily can be adapted for execution with full-face mask or standard scuba gear.

US Navy
The least often recommended of the established techniques is the US Navy’s. Most likely because it requires substantial amounts of pure O2, and recommends use of a 100% O2 rebreather. It directs descent to 30’ for 30 minutes for Type I DCS & 90 minutes for Type II, followed by an ascent completed in two 60 minute segments, one at 20’ and a second 10’. Pure oxygen is to be inspired continuously for 3 hours after surfacing. The technique could readily be adapted for full-face mask or surface supplied approaches. The Navy method is recommended in situations where a hyperbaric facility is more than 12 hours away.

Pyle
The newest & most complex, the Pyle method allows for use of surface, mounted cylinder or rebreather supplied pure or diluted oxygen mixtures. At the first indication of DCS, 100% oxygen is administered at the surface for 10 minutes, during which the progression of symptoms is assessed, and logistical & environmental conditions evaluated. If IWR appears appropriate after this appraisal, the diver & a tender are lowered to a depth of 25’ breathing 100% oxygen for 10 minutes. If symptoms are resolving after 10 minutes of IWR, depth is maintained and pure O2 continued for 90 minutes, interspersed with 5 minute periods breathing air or EAN every 20 minutes. Should symptoms persist or progress after the initial 10 minutes at 25 ft, breathing gas is changed to air or EAN and a potentially complicated series of descents at 25 foot increments, not to exceed 125’, are conducted.

So, how effective is IWR? Although research data to date lacks scientific rigor, and is scattered & cuts across a hodge-podge of divers, variants & gases, a meta-analysis does suggest the procedure has some efficacy. It appears that majority of bent divers come out of IWR either asymptomatic or improved, with only a small fraction being worsened or having an ambiguous result. This tentative finding is especially provocative given that much of the reported IWR was done using compressed air rather than recommended 100% O2.

While IWR obviously requires much further study & adjustment, it has a promising future under the unique set of circumstances for which it is designed."

*The actual Australian protocol is:

Equipment

The following equipment is essential before attempting this form of treatment:

1. Full face mask with demand valve and surface supply system or helmet with free flow.

2. Adequate supply of 100% oxygen for patient, and air for attendant, typically about 200 cf per treatment.

3. Shot with at least 10 metres of rope (a seat or harness may be rigged to the shot).

4. Some form of communication system between patient, attendant and surface, preferably voice communications.

Method

1. The patient is lowered on the shot rope to 9 metres (30 fsw), breathing 100% oxygen.

2. Ascent is commenced after 30 minutes in mild cases, or 60 minutes in sever cases, if improvement has occurred. These times may be extended to 60 minutes and 90 minutes respectively if there is no improvement.

3. Ascent is at the rate of 1 metre every 12 minutes. Staging may be applied where applicable.

4. If symptoms recur remain at depth a further 30 minutes before continuing ascent.

5. If oxygen supply is exhausted, return to the surface, rather than breathe air.

6. After surfacing the patient should be given one hour on oxygen, one hour off, for a further 12 hours."

Had enough yet?

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Goodtime Adventures:

Hi Goodtime Adventures,

Health insurers almost certainly would not cover this procedure, regardless of training/certification courses.

DAN plans would not cover this procedure without preapproval.

Oh, I though that Goodtime Adventures was saying that if you attempted something like this, and then required a chamber ride or other treatment (despite IWR or because of IWR), insurance wouldn't pay for the billable medical treatment since you had tried something like IWR first. But maybe I read that wrong...

In any case, thanks for the excellent review of IWR!

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom