DCS accident unresolved

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chessydog

New
Reaction score
Here is the story of my dive accident and my road to recovery. I apologize for its length, but the lessons are in the details, for both divers and the medical dive community. And so you will find a detailed description of the day’s dives and the following initial treatment.

I have been a recreational diver for 14 years, logging a total of 70 dives on our varied dive vacations. Last May I had a dive accident while shore diving with my husband in the Carribean. Despite my adherence to protocols, I was inexplicably predisposed to taking a hit, and became a victim to DCS. I returned from diving with minor tingling in my feet. Forty-four hours post dive, I experienced advancing numbness and was treated for DCS in the local decompression chamber. After repeated chamber trips (5), my improvement ceased and my condition changed for the worse.

DAY 1 – Day of Accident
First dive
Max depth 88ft, gentle ascent, a lot of time at 30 ft, 3 minute safety stop. Total dive time 1hr 02minutes
Surface Interval 3 hours

Second dive
Max Depth 77’, total dive time 50 minutes
Dive at depth of 70’ for 10-12 minutes, slow ascent to 30’, +- 30 minutes at 30’, 5 minute safety stop at 15’, not even close to no decompression limits shown on computer.

Imediately post dive, tingling occurs in right foot. Within first hour, tingling was strong, then waned, gone after 4 hours. Heavy fatigue that evening.

Diver was 50 year old fit female, well hydrated. She was using dive computer, and had a more conservative dive than dive partner, both computers had similar dive profile to rule out computer failure. She had not been exercising earlier that day, and had not been drinking alcohol.

DAY 2
No symptoms. Rest, no diving.

DAY 3
36 hours post dive, experienced numbness in right lower leg and foot.
42 hours post dive, experienced increased numbness, in right arm and right lower leg.
Examined by Dive Dr. at Medical Center. Found Hypesthesia in right lower arm and leg. No other abnormalities. Diagnosed with Spinal Cord Decompression Illness
44 hours post dive, Decompression Chamber treatment: Table 6 with 2 extensions. (5.5 hrs at 60’)

DAY 4
Symptom free. Rest

DAY 5
Tingling in right hand and foot returned and progressed overnight
Decompression Chamber treatment: Table 6 with 2 extensions.
Symptoms gone, return 4 hrs later.
Decompression Chamber treatment: Table 5 (3 hrs)
Symptom free. Rest

DAY 6
Symptoms returned in Afternoon
Xrays of cervical spine showed arthritis in the neck, no significant obstructions.
Decompression Chamber treatment: Table 6 (5 hours)
Slight tingling persisted in foot

DAY 7
Decompression Chamber treatment: Table 6
Slight tingling persisted in foot
No improvement, Neurologist concurs with Dive Dr. to discontinue treatment.

As I attempted to recover from the haze of treatments, I experienced a new and more disabling set of symptoms in addition to the intermittent tingling; they included high blood pressure, chronic dizziness and fatigue and postural sensitivity. My active lifestyle was reduced to that of an over cooked couch potato.

In the weeks and months after initial treatment, my condition was troubling and I was unable to find help. I called DANs medical hotline repeatedly and read all their medical references. I was told that my condition was atypical of DCS. I proceeded through a parade of Doctors (Dive and otherwise) who concluded I had a decompression brain injury, and advised that it would heal in time. For six months I remain unchanged, until I was referred to Dr. Harch in New Orleans. Dr Harch specializes in (off label) hyperbaric oxygen treatment therapy (HBOT) and has a well-documented history of successful treatments of delayed or residual DCS cases.

After careful review of my condition and the events leading up to my injury, Dr. Harch diagnosed me with residual brain DCS complicated by Oxygen toxicity symptoms. I acknowledge most of my symptoms, apart from the tingling and numbness occurred after my numerous extended hyperbaric treatments. It appears likely that the initial regimen of heavy hyperbaric treatments either caused or enhanced my brain injury.

For treatment, Dr. Harch prescribed a different application of Hyperbaric medicine called HBOT. Under HBOT, treatments have been proven to increase cerebral blood flow and deliver oxygen to areas of the brain, which appear oxygen deficient. Repeated low-level treatments stimulate cerebral tissues and aid in recovery of idling neurons. For me, I underwent a series of 40 short low dosage treatments. The progress was slow and steady but after 37 treatments, my brain suddenly re-engaged as if someone had turned a faucet on to increase blood flow to my brain. I could think clearly again, and all my symptoms almost completely disappeared. I am back to an active and productive life again, thanks to Dr. Harch and HBOT.

It is regretful that an injured diver is hard pressed to find out about HBOT through the medical dive community. Although Dr. Harch has presented his mounting successes repeated to UHMS since 1992, the medical dive establishment has been mum to endorse his work, post his research, or provide any information on HBOT. For the unfortunate DCS victims who remain unwell from traditional hyperbaric dosages, I urge them to seek treatment as soon as possible at one of the few HBOT facilities. To find out more, check out these websites: www.hbotreatment.com, www.hyperbarics.org, and www.hbot.com , or read the new book “Oxygen Revolution” by Paul Harch at Amizon. You will be glad you did.

Wonder if a second opinion with another neurologist should be considered. My only training in neurology is in medical school, but I still would worry about spinal/brain tumors or multiple sclerosis.

Whoa...pretty intense. I'm glad you are better. Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience.

Wow thanks for sharing! Glad you are well. Something to think about. Not to blindly trust in all treatments and seek second opinions where possible.

Hello Chessydog, welcome to the board!

Please forgive me, but I'm always a little skeptical of new treatments. Perhaps you can allay my concerns.

On what island in the Caribbean were you diving? What were the water conditions like?

Day one is listed as the time of the accident, but on day two there were no symptoms and no treatments. Obviously DCS can manifest itself at a later time, but I'm wondering if any flying was involved between days 1 and 3?

Thanks!

glenn

g2:
Hello Chessydog, welcome to the board!

Please forgive me, but I'm always a little skeptical of new treatments. Perhaps you can allay my concerns.

On what island in the Caribbean were you diving? What were the water conditions like?

Day one is listed as the time of the accident, but on day two there were no symptoms and no treatments. Obviously DCS can manifest itself at a later time, but I'm wondering if any flying was involved between days 1 and 3?

Thanks!

glenn
Well her symptoms did start shortly after the dive, which is typical of Dcs, and symptoms can be repressed even while a condition continues.

I have to wonder about the gentle profile causing DCS and suspect PFO...?

I certainly do not know enough about dive medicine to comment on the treatments, but have contacted Mods about maybe moving this thread to the medical area.

OK, I'll bite... Funny that you don't post the UHMS position statement on the HBOT as well (ever read it?). You will find all of the abstracts he has presented at the UHMS annual meetings in the Rubicon Research Repository. Do a search for his name here (there are 12 - we do not have 2000 added yet though). You should also note that he has ONLY presented abstracts and NEVER had a peer reviewed publication on the topic (only four publications in total, one a non-peer reviewed editorial on this topic - at least two were with Keith Van Meter, that does help him some).

Thanks for posting though, always good to have another case report.

I do hope that the OP does return to discuss this more - less some think it could be a spam thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom