DCI II, the aftermath...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdl1747

New
Reaction score
I'm new to ScubaBoard and mainly joined because I am desperately searching for anyone who has had Type II decompression illness. I got it in July while diving in Belize and had 72 hours of hyperbaric treatment (a record for the chamber!). Almost three months later I have much sensory loss in my lower body and can't get any good information on how the recuperation is going to proceed. Please help- if any of you know someone who is familiar with the aftermath of this illness, please contact me!

cdl1747:
I'm new to ScubaBoard and mainly joined because I am desperately searching for anyone who has had Type II decompression illness. I got it in July while diving in Belize and had 72 hours of hyperbaric treatment (a record for the chamber!). Almost three months later I have much sensory loss in my lower body and can't get any good information on how the recuperation is going to proceed. Please help- if any of you know someone who is familiar with the aftermath of this illness, please contact me!

I do not recall where I found the attached document. It was an RTF, but the board does not want them used as attachments, so I have saved it as Word 95. If you need another format, I can email you the file.

First welcome to the board.

I have been there and done that. More about that later. I would ask that you post your experience (story) of what happened (the dive, the dive profile, what happened as you know it) and your experience in treatment following. This allows others to learn from your experience. It also helps educate and dispel misconceptions many divers may have.

I would also recommend post this question with Doc Deco under Marine Science and Physiology. He is a medical man. NASA physician and expert in Deco medicine.

Divers Alert Network at http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/ is also a good resource Second under Accidents and Incidents and Near Misses we would love to hear your full story so that we can learn from it.

Now for the attorneys: I am not a medical person or other expert on the subject. Each person is unique and their experience and prognosis may differ. The following does not constitute medical advice but is only my personal experience.

Been there, had that. I got bent (diving not drinking) in 2001. I had a tingling sensation in the bottom of my foot for years. Actually I still do to a small extent; I just no longer notice it most of the time. As I understand it (from talking to people, reading about it here and else where etc), in this type of DCS there was a Nitrogen bubble interacting with a nerve or nerve path. This interaction causes injury, or even death to the involved nerve or nerve path. The resulting damage can manifest itself as anything from a phantom feeling (my case) to numbness (yours) or paralysis or worse. Depending upon the severity of the damage, how long the bubble was there, where it was etc, the body may or may not ever recover. The body is an amazing thing and will sometimes find new paths (rewire itself) if a nerve path is damaged. Other times it may not. I know one guy who was paralyzed from the waist down, 10 minutes after leaving the water, got on O2 right away and walked out of the hospital later that night. Yet others are not so lucky.

In short, this may or may not ever go away. In my case it did get better over several years but not completely resolved. But it could also be a life long condition. No guarantees either way.

cdl1747,

I'm another member of the DCSII club- Grand Cayman, Aug. 2004.
Ive seen the article posted by Don Burke-scary, and Pasley's description is all too familiar.
Most of my "story" is on a thread titles"bent bad in Grand Cayman" in the accidents/incidents forum- the last post was Nov. of last year. (I'm too bad a typist to retell it all, and not sure how to create the link (I know "computer illiterate) :)

Regarding My DCS II recovery:
I can say that the fatigue lasted for 5+ months, and tingling, "pins and needles" feeling in my lower legs was a 24/7 companion until May, and that now all I get is an occasional burning sensation in my feet -seems to be fatigue/stress related. I also have a "collateral damage" knee injury that is still not "back to normal"

I haven't dived since the accident, but the dive Drs., I've spoken say "maybe next summer".

I'm sure we'd all like to hear more details of your situation-as information and a cautionary tale.

Hoping you have a full recovery,
Mike

Glad you're here, but I'm going to request this be moved to the Decompression forum. You might also search posts on PFO...

:) don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

DandyDon:
Glad you're here, but I'm going to request this be moved to the Decompression forum. You might also search posts on PFO...

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.
I don't know why this wasn't moved? Why not post a new thread in the Decompression forum...????

NOTE* I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL!!!

First, your body has two types of nerves; motor nerves and sensory nerves. Sensory nerves will "rewire" themselves. Motor nerves usually don't. There are some cases where they do, but statistically, if they were damaged, they'll stay damaged. I never did have DCS, but when I had surgery on my right shoulder, the Dr. made five incisions. On one of them, he clipped the motor nerve running down my arm. For nearly six months, I couldn't raise my arm up any higher than my shoulder. Many of my sensory nerves in the area of the same incision were also damaged. After the incision healed, (1/4 inch long incision) I had a numb spot on my shoulder, surrounding the scar that was about the size of a silver dollar. Within a couple months, I had sensory feeling in that area again. Fortunately for me, the Dr. didn't sever my motor nerve entirely, and it (very painfully) healed. If you didn't have severe nerve damage, chances are you may overcome the DCS "hit." I can't make assumptions about your case, but with a DCS type II hit, your nerves may rewire themselves, but not be the same as before the incident.

DandyDon:

Searching PFO returns no matches (presumably because this is only 3 letters??? )

Being able to search selected 3 letter words/acronyms (pfo,dcs,dui,dci etc) would be a nice thing to have enabled

ianr33:
Searching PFO returns no matches (presumably because this is only 3 letters??? )

Being able to search selected 3 letter words/acronyms (pfo,dcs,dui,dci etc) would be a nice thing to have enabled

If you put a star after it it works (ie "PFO*" -no quotes).

-Erica

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom