Dc1400 Casing Shutter Rust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been having issues with the shutter button and got frustrated with the camera while snorkelling today to try get more practice with the camera. this evening when cleaning the case I've noticed that there is something like rust under the shutter plate. Can this be the reason I'm having a "sticky" shutter button? Big question is can I remove the shutter plate myself and clean it out, or are there seals / O-rings that will get damaged if I attempt this at home.

Attachments

• PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 83
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 91
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 79
i know nothing about sealife...

but based upon your pictures, the "rust" appears to be located on the outside surface of the housing. so there seems to be no issues with failure of the housing seal around th shutter control.

you appear to have some gunk occurring below the plate but outside of the housing. cause unknown. has it seen salt water? if so then you likely need to soak it more after each dive?

you should be able to remove the plate,but leave the push buttons in place. this will allow you to examine under the plate and clean the gunk away.

most housings (all that i have seen) have an internal clip on each push button that prevents it from being removed.

Hi jfe,

The DC1400 uses only marine grade stainless steel hardware, so it’s unlikely that any of the shutter button assembly is rusting. What you see is most likely rust staining caused by some contaminants or improper cleaning/drying after using in saltwater. I would recommend have your local authorized service center clean and re-lube the shutter button assembly.

Here is some important information regarding sticky shutter button, which is available on our website troubleshooting section:
www.sealife-cameras.com/dc1400-troubleshooting-and-technical-updates

1) "Exercise" the shutter button after it's been in storage by pushing it up/down until the button operates smoothly and quickly returns to its upright position. Also, push up on the shutter from the inside of the housing to exercise the button’s full range. If the shutter button is sticky and does not return to its uppermost position, the Focus, Flash and Menu buttons will not function.

2) Thoroughly rinse housing in fresh water after each use. Periodically soak the sealed housing in warm fresh water for about 20 minutes. Push all the buttons about 20 times to flush out any debris trapped. Allow housing to completely dry before storage.

Important: If the above information does not resolve the issue, please contact your local authorized SeaLife dealer or the distributor/service center in your country for repair service. SeaLife recently developed a Zoom Lever / Shutter Button O-ring Repair Kit for DC1400 (Item # SL7201), which may only be installed by an authorized SeaLife Service Center.

We hope this information helps.
SeaLife Team

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom