Dc 800?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

427Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
The Villages, FL, and Northern Wisconsin (4 months
# of dives
200 - 499
I know the DC 500 and DC 600 have a problem with using the internal flash in the underwater housing. They both leave a dark area in the lower corner due to the flash being blocked by the housing.

Has this problem been corrected in the DC 800?

I know the DC 500 and DC 600 have a problem with using the internal flash in the underwater housing. They both leave a dark area in the lower corner due to the flash being blocked by the housing.

Has this problem been corrected in the DC 800?

I would also be interested in hearing the answer from SeaLife.

As part of our continued effort to research and develop new cameras, we do plan to introduce a Diffuser for the DC800 sometime in October / November. The DC800 Diffuser would be sold as an accessory and clip on to the front of the underwater housing to prevent shadowing. The diffuser will also soften the light and make it ideal for macro photography.

As part of our continued effort to research and develop new cameras, we do plan to introduce a Diffuser for the DC800 sometime in October / November. The DC800 Diffuser would be sold as an accessory and clip on to the front of the underwater housing to prevent shadowing. The diffuser will also soften the light and make it ideal for macro photography.

Therefore in a round about answer avoiding the question, I assume the shadow is still present in the DC 800. However you are working on a solution to the problem.

I found this answer on the Sealife website cocerning the DC 800. So it still has the same problem when using the internal flash as the DC 500 and DC 600 with having the dark circle in the bottom left of the picture.

Here is what their website says:
  1. Turn the camera's internal flash OFF. There are a few factors to consider before you decide to turn on the camera's flash. First, the DC800 has a built-in color correction filter (in SEA mode) that only works when the flash is turned off. Turning on the flash cancels the color correction feature. The internal flash is not very powerful and only reaches about 2ft or 3ft depending on visibility. The camera's internal flash causes backscatter (those small white dots in the picture) unless you are in perfectly clear water.
  2. Use the SeaLife Flash accessory (sold separately). SeaLife external flashes have flexible arms that allow you to aim the flash head in virtually any direction. It will eliminate the shadow effect and also produce brighter, more colorful underwater pictures with less backscatter.
  3. Use the optical zoom and maintain a shooting distance of 1 ½ ft to 2ft: The shadow effect described above gets more severe the closer you are to the subject. Back away from the subject and increase the optical zoom. This is not recommended for longer shooting distances for the reasons described above

Back
Top Bottom