Daytime dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since short time there is the first next gen LED light with the ostar emitter availible. It delivers very much more light in comparison to what you know from typical led lights and it has a real reflector for collimation. <emphasis added>
Using a real reflector to focus rather than just the little internal reflectors inside the LEDs themselves makes a big difference. TS&M mentioned the Photon Torpedo above as a tight beamed LED light. gulftexproductshome says that they use a single LED combined with a polished reflector to achieve 2.6 degree half angle (5 degree beamwidth). Very impressive.

This sort of LED lighthead is quite different than the more common LED light where it is just a bunch of individual LEDs, with the much broader beam that is formed by the LEDs themselves. IMO, this more common type of LED light is NOT good for daylight use.

Looking for recommendations of a small dive light that could possibly fit in BCD pocket for diving during the day...looking for critters in crevices, etc. I've been reading that LED lights don't work as well during the day...is that the case?
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Check out scubadiving.com for their review of the latest lights including primary, pocket and backup. I'm currently looking into purchasing the UK SL4 eLED for myself and I'm happy to read that people like it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom