Daytime dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbaggs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for recommendations of a small dive light that could possibly fit in BCD pocket for diving during the day...looking for critters in crevices, etc. I've been reading that LED lights don't work as well during the day...is that the case?
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

What works depends in part on where you are diving. If you're diving in the tropics where the water is clear and there is a lot of ambient light, you need something VERY bright to be useful, unless you are truly only interested in illuminating holes. In low viz, you have less ambient light, but need better focus to cut through the murk.

For Puget Sound diving, the UK SL4 eLED is a very nice light module. It's bright enough to be quite visible, and focused enough to get through the particulates. (We like to put them in Photon Torpedo or Scout bodies for more durability, but you don't have to do that.)

The problem with LED lights is that they don't focus to a bright spot. That's a problem in clear waters where your eyes have adapted to the bright sunlight.

My favorite light is the 6AA halogen PCa light from Ikelite. 7.2 watts. Tight, very bright spot that is good for looking under ledges and rocks for critters. The equivalent lighthead is also available with a larger body that takes C cells as the PCM light for longer battery life.

The Underwater Kinetics Q40 is another tightly focussed halogen light. I found it not quite bright enough for daytime use.

LEDs continue to improve, but they aren't quite there yet for tight beam lights for bright daylight use.

I have the OMS L191 and I dove 30 times in the Carribean with it.

During day dives, I personally think it does the job very well looking into crevases.

And I remember my first night dive with it. Everybody had large rental lights and they were making fun of my little light, until when we got under water. Their's was not as bright as mine. The L191 is much brighter/whiter.

When we got top side, they were not laughing any more !!!!!

Attachments

• vega.jpg
    vega.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 58
I just read the light article in the latest isssue of Xray magazine. Very interesting what is happening with LED lights. Apparently a couple of German companies are utilizing the latest in LED as well as rechargeable battery technology. Take a look at the MB Sub lights in their New Generation section:

mb-sub.com: PHOTON

Pretty much what I've been looking for in a dive light. Light level control, rechargeable, decent run time, solid body, safe and locking switch. I would have preferred a solid mounting point at the tail of the light for attachment of a snap, but I'm not gonna be picky :)

Of course, given the $-to-Euro exchange rate it'll be awhile before I can actually own one :D

Henrik

60 minute burn time is pretty minimal, though.

I have to take issue with the idea that the LED lights aren't well focused. The LED upgrade for the Photon Torpedo produces an intense, bright, focused beam that cuts through murk and makes for very good signaling.

As TSandM, I also have a SL4 eLED and love it. I've used it for day diving in the St-Lawrence river (fairly murky) and Caribean (Roatan). It does the job well for crevasses, under ledges, etc... Of course it's not a canister light, but it fits well in your pocket (I strap mine on my shoulder strap), is rugged, gets lots of burn time and is not too $$$$. As for night diving in the caribean... I found it almost too bright!

For a pocket daytime light, it will do the job well!

Hope this helps!:coffee:

60 minute burn time is pretty minimal, though.

You're absolutely correct 60 min is a tad low for the Photon. Keep in mind though, that the light has 3 intensity settings and considerably longer burn time for lower settings.

It wasn't clear, but I meant to link to the *list* of their new lights, where for instance the new Revolution 3 LED light has a 3 hour burn time at max brightness of 3, and with the choice of 13° or 20° optics.

I'm not saying these are the end-all lights. I'm just happy some one is showing that it it possible to build lights with these features for diving purposes. While there are nice lights out there, the majority seem to skimp a tad on the possible features considering the prices some of them fetch. Especially when you look at what is happening with new, similarly priced, LED flashlights in the non-diving world.

For instance; I recently bought a Cree LED 1 x AA pocket flashlight for $40. It was an introductory price and it now sells for about $55. It has 3 light levels plus some flashing modes (not that I see them as being very useful). It'll run 1 hour at the highest level and over 15 hours on the low level ... on a single AA. The light output compares favorably to my old 3 C-cell Maglight with their Krypton bulb. Not nearly the same throw, but brightness at anything up to 15' is better than the Mag.

I also upgraded that 3 D-cell Maglight with an LED bulb. The output on fresh batteries doubled compared to the Krypton bulb. The real kicker however is, that the LED upgrade will run brighter than Krypton max (which it will maintain for mere minutes) for 20+ hours before dropping below Krypton level.

Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications

With that in mind I find the currently available dive lights a bit lacking.

Anyway ... I'll get off my soapbox now :) sorry for the rant.

Henrik

hi,

that depens on how much u like to spend. Since short time there is the first next gen LED light with the ostar emitter availible. It delivers very much more light in comparison to what you know from typical led lights and it has a real reflector for collimation. I dive myself since 1 year with this type of led emtter in my DIY lamp and it stands for a complete new generation of diving lights in my opinion.
It´s handy and has 60min burntime.
Take a look yourself if it´s right for you: mb-sub.com: NEU......PHOTON......NEU

cheers,
MikeRD03

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom