Day of the Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozoholic:
Is there a place on the island that sells collectable day of the dead figurines?

Becky

What do you mean by "collectable"? I've seen the little skeleton figurines in many Cozumel shops.

When we left Coz last November, the Day of the Dead was the next day. At the airport after we went through security they handed us little wax skulls as souveniors. A little strange for a going away present especially on boarding a flight.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Cozoholic:
Figurines that are worth more then a few dollars.
You mean like these? :eyebrow: Good news and bad news...

P3130008.jpg

We've searched far and wide all over Coz to find these but never have... we ended up getting these at the Xel-Ha gift shop (of all places) on the mainland. They are papier mache with lace on the dresses and yarn for hair. About 12-13 inches tall.

The white one I bought Mia as a wedding gift, the black one she bought herself. The black ones tag says 545 pesos... expensive but very nice. I would buy more if I could find them in Coz, I doubt if I'll ever go back to Xel-Ha.

In November we searched Playa Del Carmen and only found 1 store that had any decent stuff (but nothing like this). It was on the mall, pretty far up north, up a side street, a few storefronts off the main drag. I wish I could help you more than that but that was our first time really exploring PDC. We never knew the shopping/tourist mall was so large!

Some more good news/bad news... on the bottom of the dolls is a website:
http://lascatrinas.com

The ones on the site are nice, but more haute couture/designer clothing. I like ours because the clothing is more traditional looking.

A couple years ago i bought my boss the coolest day of the dead crucifix thinking I would be able to get myself one next trip... D'oh! Never saw them again. The place we got that was next to Unicornio (sp?). It's in the square (southside) off of what would be Avenida 5. They have some small stuff... but nothing big. Los Cincos Soles has some stuff too... way in the back.

Moodiejeff:
You mean like these? :eyebrow: Good news and bad news...

P3130008.jpg

We've searched far and wide all over Coz to find these but never have... we ended up getting these at the Xel-Ha gift shop (of all places) on the mainland. They are papier mache with lace on the dresses and yarn for hair. About 12-13 inches tall.

The white one I bought Mia as a wedding gift, the black one she bought herself. The black ones tag says 545 pesos... expensive but very nice. I would buy more if I could find them in Coz, I doubt if I'll ever go back to Xel-Ha.

In November we searched Playa Del Carmen and only found 1 store that had any decent stuff (but nothing like this). It was on the mall, pretty far up north, up a side street, a few storefronts off the main drag. I wish I could help you more than that but that was our first time really exploring PDC. We never knew the shopping/tourist mall was so large!

Some more good news/bad news... on the bottom of the dolls is a website:
http://lascatrinas.com

The ones on the site are nice, but more haute couture/designer clothing. I like ours because the clothing is more traditional looking.

A couple years ago i bought my boss the coolest day of the dead crucifix thinking I would be able to get myself one next trip... D'oh! Never saw them again. The place we got that was next to Unicornio (sp?). It's in the square (southside) off of what would be Avenida 5. They have some small stuff... but nothing big. Los Cincos Soles has some stuff too... way in the back.

Thanks Jeff- those are beautiful, did you happen to ask Christi about where you may (or may not) find them?

Btw, were oficially engaged and getting married In June 2008 - when Im done w/ school :) Going to scope things out this June - yeah, yeah, I know, just an excuse to dive :wink: shhhh

Cozoholic:
did you happen to ask Christi about where you may (or may not) find them?
Nope... maybe she can chime in if she knows of a place. Like I said, we search every trip, we know quite a few people who are into this sorta thing. Except for that 1 time it's been bupkus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom