Davinci Resolve for Underwater Videographers - Free YouTube Series

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonathan Venn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hey Guys

I made a series to try and get people into more Video Editing, as so few people seem to do it compared to photography. I tried to make it as easy and quick as possible not to bore people and show people the basics. I would love to get some feedback on it, wondering if I should continue making these tutorials and maybe even make a full course, and get a bit more advanced.

A bit about myself, I own a Dive Resort in Anilao, Philippines, and passion is underwater Video. I've been running my business for 10 years now

The Playlist is available here, from start to finish

I will also link the videos below.

DaVinci Resolve for Underwater Videographers - Importing and Organizing

DaVinci Resolve for Underwater Videographers - Editing on the Cut Page

DaVinci Resolve for Underwater Videographers - Editing Music

DaVinci Resolve for Underwater Videographers - Transitions and Tools

Davinchi Resolve for Underwater Videographers - Primary Color Grading

Jon
www.blueribbondivers.com

I'm a Vegas Pro user, but I'm very impressed by your tutorials. Really good. One thing that bugs me with Vegas is that it crashes from time to time, so I've been looking to try another editor without spending a whole load of money. Now I'll certainly give DaVinci a go!
Cheers,
Matt

You have done a commendable effort especially the timing to the music is really useful

I do not agree with your colour grading. You don't balance the colours to be all aligned or to fill the scopes if you did you would obtain white...!

I finally got around to watching. Nice series, and well done! I found the stabilizing portions to be very helpful. I have to disagree with @Interceptor121 on the grading though, how @Jonathan Venn does it is the same way I do. @Interceptor121 how do you approach the grading, maybe there is a better way I am missing? I have always tried pull the channels together matching as best as possible the blacks and highlights. CTRL+D is the final say for me. If it looks accurate and pleasing to my eye I'm good. I have never balanced to white doing this.

Thanks.
Nice tutorial. I think I just put both downloading Davinci Resolve and visiting your resort in the Philippines on my to-do-list.

I finally got around to watching. Nice series, and well done! I found the stabilizing portions to be very helpful. I have to disagree with @Interceptor121 on the grading though, how @Jonathan Venn does it is the same way I do. @Interceptor121 how do you approach the grading, maybe there is a better way I am missing? I have always tried pull the channels together matching as best as possible the blacks and highlights. CTRL+D is the final say for me. If it looks accurate and pleasing to my eye I'm good. I have never balanced to white doing this.

I use scopes only to make sure I don't crush the blacks or the highlights and don't oversaturate the colours

Never use scope to balance colour that is not how it is meant to be is red is lower than blue thats fine am not going to alter the channels to equalise that, Even in real life colours are never the same are they?

I use scopes only to make sure I don't crush the blacks or the highlights and don't oversaturate the colours

Never use scope to balance colour that is not how it is meant to be is red is lower than blue thats fine am not going to alter the channels to equalise that, Even in real life colours are never the same are they?

Some cameras don't WB well, even in AWB in conditions a camera should WB sometimes things don't work out right. This is a way to correct that. In the end I try to get the colors semi accurate and pleasing to my eye. In Lightroom I do the same with temp and tint for quick corrections. If I need some real fine tuning in LR I would work with the color channels or go to Photoshop and do the individual RGB curves. You can do that in Davinnci as well, but I find you can get the same result in scopes. Its all working with the same data, just in different user interfaces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom