Dauin or Dauin plus Anda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougieG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, with the Philippines now open I am looking to book a trip in June. I was planning on going to Dauin, staying at Pura Vida Dive Resort, and diving with Sea Explorers. I am also considering island hopping, and also going to Anda at the Amun Ini Beach Resort and Spa.

Is it worth it to do both locations?
We would like to see whale sharks. Which location is best for that?

Thanks for everyone's help!

DougieG.

Oslob is the nearest place to see whaleshark. Whether you like the presentation is entirely up to you.

Never been to Anda but Alona Beach attracts lot of divers.

Went diving Anda once, would not return : reefs are not as interesting as Balicasag or Cabilao for instance, macro is clearly one or two steps below Dauin.
In the area you can consider Sipalay (other side of Negros), Alona for Balicasag, Cabilao (both need a ferry transfer from Duma to Bohol) or even Moalboal (4h taxi ride to Cebu).
I would not recommend Oslob, it's a circus.

Dauin is of course amazing, I live there. I went to Anda in 2015, and really liked it, healthy reefs, big fish biomass, and macro. Different marine environment from Dauin. I also liked the relaxed, small-town vibe of Anda. Plus, you can check out the amazing Tarsiers (tiny nocturnal primates) on land. So, if you have the time, seeing both would be nice.
On the downside, I don't think there is a direct Dumaguete-Bohol ferry now, you'd have to go via Cebu.

I went to ANDA a few years ago to a very nice resort that had just opened. I found the diving underwhelming, but have seen sets of shots from friends who went more recently with blue rings, flamboyants, wonder pus, lots of cool nudis and other very cool stuff. There is a chance of whalesharks in Anda. However, I absolutely loved Southern Leyte and was lucky with whale sharks on one of two visits. The recent typhoon may have damaged some of the reefs though.

Spend a week in May and in October 2019, before COVID, at Pura Vida Resort in Dauin. Loved it.
The local macro diving was very good. It is seasonal. May had many hairy frog fish and flamboyant cuttle fish. October was great for wonderpus and mimics, 6 on one dive. Plus lot lot more.
Apo island trip is not to be missed.
They used to do full day Oslob trips, but I did it from Cebu City a few times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom