Dauin (Dumaguete) Trip Report 3/31/08-4/6/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogdrjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
Short report on my week of diving at El Dorado Resort in Dauin (Dumaguete) Negros.
Nice place - $29US/night for a decent room with AC and cable TV and continental breakfast, free Nitrox, 18 dives for about $600 (extra charge for credit card) including shore, boat, night and trips to Apo and Suquijor (sp?) Islands and all sanctuary fees. Food was fine for 1 week, decent variety and reasonably priced, not many other places to eat nearby. Averaged 3 dives a day, including first dive at 11:30AM the day I arrived there at 9AM. First time diving in Pacific other than Hawaii and western Mexico. AMAZING CREATURES!!! Robust ghost pipefish, Ornate Ghostf Pipefish, Ribbon Eels, Amboyan (sp?) scorpionfish (very rare I was told), toadfish, frogfish on every dive from 1cm to nearly 1 foot long, colors - red, orange, green, white and orange, yellow and purple, white, and even a free-swimming black one that came after me and landed on my wetsuit and walked around on me - I could hear the other divers laughing underwater, more than 2 dozen different nudibrancs, many types of lionfish and anemonefish (Nemo!), turtles, sea snakes, many different eels, anemone shrimp, anemone crabs. mantis shrimp holding her eggs, Leaf scorpionfish - white, green, brown - and Flamboyant Cuttlefish!!!! (What I came to see) Dove Ducomi Pier three times - amazing diversity of creatures on pilings. Great hard and soft corals on Apo and Siquijor Islands, but I preferred the critter diving near shore to see all that weird stuff you will never see in the Caribbean Got a picture of a juvenile Sweetlips - cutest little thing but constantly moving like a tiny butterfly, lucky to get 1 picture in focus out of many attempts. I would go back again except for >$1000 plane fare and 17 hours travel just to Manila, the another 1 hour flight to Dumaguete after an overnight in Manila each way. But with a free ticket with miles from Northwest Airline from Portland to Manila I probably spent about $1000 total and had the dive trip of my life. Caribbean diving will seem bland after that trip, but I am already looking forward to my next trip to Curacao in November.

Attachments

• DSC09854.JPG
    DSC09854.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC09905.jpg
    DSC09905.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC09049.jpg
    DSC09049.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00173.jpg
    DSC00173.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 27
As I said, I stayed at El Dorado Resort and dove with them "Dive Society" I think they call their operation. Great time

Back
Top Bottom