Dauin/Apo, Sipalay or a combination of Both

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freewillow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

we are a couple of divers that are interested in various type of dives, from mud/macro to beautiful coral gardens. We are considering to spend 2 weeks in The Philippines. We have done Anilao, Romblon, a safari SE of Cebu ( camingin/Bohol/Cagayan de Oro ) and we are looking for similar diving opportunities.

Some people are advising Dauin/Apo or/and Sipalay.

Can anyone help us making a choice? Thanks

Dauin + Apo would certainly tick both boxes, macro and beautiful coral gardens. I enjoy staying on Apo for the ease of doing multiple dives, including twilight/ night just by walking in off the beach. Best if you enjoy lights-out at 9:30 pm and lack of aircon or fan overnight, as well as dipper baths. Believe all the Dauin resorts offer day trips to Apo, and you have a range of choice for luxury levels while still getting good service and diving.
With two weeks, perhaps experiment with adding Sipalay or Siquijor. I defer to others with recent experience on that choice.

Both.
But getting to Sipalay is time consuming. Both Bacolod and Dumaguete are more or less equi-distance from Sipalay.

I just posted some trip reports which may help you. Take a look at the dive safari from Sipalay to Moalboal boat as that could cover all your bases.

Just returned in mid December from a dive trip Sipalay/Dauin. One week in Sipalay and another week in Dauin doing some "muck" diving and several trips over to Apo Island. I'd been to Dauin two times previously but never to Sipalay so I I wanted to try someplace new to dive then head down to Dauin. Flew into Bacolod from Manila--then Ceres bus to Sipalay. Five hour bus ride--at one tenth the cost of a private transfer--I think we paid like 300 pesos each for the bus ride which we enjoyed and was very comfortable compared to about 3900 pesos for a private transfer by car. I found the diving in Sipalay just average--nothing to get excited about and probably won't return there. Then a five hour bus ride down to Dauin again for about 300 pesos and two stops to change busses--no biggy. Love Dauin--the town and the diving--stayed at Mikes Beach Resort like previous trips--love Apo Island--not much of a "muck" diver but starting to enjoy it a little more. The previous year we did a Dauin/Bohol trip. Dived Dauin for a week then took the ferry over to Bohol to dive Balicasag Island for five days which I really enjoyed--not withstanding everyone's complaints of to many tourists there--didn't bother me very much. But I see you've been to Bohol so you might consider Sipalay for a different place to dive just don't expect to be "wowed". It was very easy diving and fairly cheap like most diving in the Philippines. Stayed at Takatuka Lodge which we really like with a great beach but very isolated.

If I have two weeks to spend on diving in the country. My first choice is Malapascua + Southern Leyte.
However, connecting these two places is tedious and time consuming.

I'd favor a week in Dauin/Apo for excellent muck along the Dauin coastline, and what was when I dove it years ago an very good reef at Apo Island.

I also like Sipalay for the second week few for a few reasons, very chill, low development, good diving, and at Takatuka great food, which is hard to find in the PI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom