Daughter's "sweet 16" - what a lousy day!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Today would be my daughter's 16th birthday, if she hadn't died of a brain tumor. She had her first surgery for it on her first birthday, so there never has been a particularly good one of them.

I wish I were underwater with my son and wife - deep down, I think there's something almost uniquely healing about salt water. That's especially true if it contains coral and pretty fish. Besides, nobody can talk down there. That works really well for me today.

No diving for us, though. My wife and I are too distracted to be really safe today. We'll probably sit in the library and reminisce.

My son is smart, a good diver, and amazingly nice to be around even though he's nearly a teenager. However, all he really has to do to make me happy is to live longer than I do. Ladies and gentlemen, I recommend that you count your blessings. Go hug your kids and realize that no matter how lousy your day has been, it could be enough worse that whatever crap is going on today wouldn't even register in comparison. If possible, get underwater.

Oh, god bless you.

I'm not sure what to say, except but there but for the grace of God go I.

I know your advice is probably the most important thing you can learn in life.

My son, only "almost" died and it put every other single thing in a context forever.--thank-you for the reminder.

God Bless my friend. You are so right. I'm not going to sweat the small stuff today. I've got 2 kids and they mean the world to me. Give your family a hug from all of us here at Scubaboard.

I am so sorry for your loss. As Catherine says, "There but for the grace of God.."
I admire your strength and unique ability to get out of your grief and remind the rest of us of what is really important. Bless you.

You and your family are in my thoughts! It sounds like you were blessed with an amazing family. Your story reminds me of a poem that I found when I was dealing with loss. I hope it helps. I wish you strength through a very hard time...

Dont Think of her as gone away
Her Journey's just begun
Life holds so many facets
This earth is only one...

Just think of her as resting
from the sorrows and the fears
In a place of warmth and compfort
where there are no days or years

Think how she must be wishing
that we could know today
how nothing but our sadness
can really pass away

And think of her as living
In the hearts of those she touched
for nothing Loved is ever lost
and she was loved SO much

The loss of a child is the worst possable thing. Kids dont understand why I get so upset by there sometimes stupid actions. I have scraped way too many off the pavement over the years. Having a tumor is much worse, they didnt even do anything wrong.... So very sad.
"heartaches are healed by the sea"
Garth Brooks

My prayers go out to you and your family! We try never to take our kids for granted.

Dave

I echo everyone's sentiments here. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. :(

Back
Top Bottom