Datamask Alarm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

motorboat.vz

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was told that you can "hear" the alarm when you first turn on the computer.

I can hear it BUT it is very, very low. You have to really listen for it when you start up the mask.
I have not taken the mask diving and will not till May so my question is how loud should it be? Will it be louder under water? I know sound is better under water but how good?
My hearing is not as good as it was when I was a kid but I had my wife listen for it and she said it was very low also and she can hear a pin drop in the next room.

I have two of the old Scan 4 computers "I think Oceanic made them for US Divers" and you can hear them very well when you first turn them on and under water if there is a problem.

Blaise

The best thing to do is to compare it with another, if you're able. If that isn't possible, or confirms that your alarm is not as loud as it should be, give our customer service department a call or email - they'll take it from there.

Doug,

I called the nearest dealer to me and he told be he did not have one and not sure when he would get one.

So I called tech. support and talked to a very nice guy named RON. He went out and got two new masks from stock to test them while I was on the phone.
What we came up with is the mask is alarming OK it's just not very loud. I told him I had a old USD Scan 4 and Aqua-land dive watch/computer that are very easy to hear/loud.
He said that the pezo alarm that is used in the mask just could not make that loud a noise as the others.
He says that it will beep three "short" times only for each alarm.
He says there just is NOT enough room for a larger alarm in the mask.
I would think the alarm in the watch would be about the same size and someone 5' away can hear it BUT what we ended up talking about is the amount of time the alarm stays ON.

IF it were to stay ON just a little longer that may help.

One reason that it may not work that well for ME is I have one of the NEW Aqua Lung Kronos regs. w/right side air exhaust. My thinking at the time was I could not see out the right side of the mask because of the computer so why not get a reg that exhausted on that side also. WRONG!!!

The new reg works great for taking video's "that's what I do, that also what makes your Datamask so great, I don't have to stop and look for my computer" because if you stop the air does not come right up in front of your face but then is hides the alarm sound coming from your computer.

Ron said that he would talk to the computer people to see if that alarm could be program to stay on longer.

Can you help Ron get the computer/programmer's to reprogram/update the mask?

He said that if they did that I/we could just download the update and install it on our mask.

Thanks for your help,
Blaise

I think you and Ron discussed making it louder but I have NO problems hearing the alarms in the water. I did just turn mine on to listen for the alarm as I did not know nor ever hear the alarm when I turned it on. I heard one small beep and that was it. The beep I heard was not even close to how audible the alarm is in the water.

If you are ever around Palestine, I have a datamask that you can compare with. If not and you dive Blue Lagoon, I will let you know when I will be there with a class and maybe you can be there. I really think you will be quite happy with the mask as it is once your able to get in the water. Oh yeah, being a photog you are going to love this mask.

Scubadale,

Thanks for the invite.. This is my second Datamask. The first one was dropping link with the air trans. a lot & the alarm on the first did NOT work at all so they replaced it this new one.
Seeing as the first one did not have a working alarm I just did not have anything to compare it to so that is why I was asking.

I did not know ithe mask will self test when it is first turned ON. Icould not find it in the manual anywhere but I may have missed it.

I am going to Roatan in May so I will check out it there. If I am still may not sure I will try and meet you at the Blue Lagoon...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom