Darwin's Arch Collapsed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. I am so glad another diver took my photo with it in the background Jan. 2020. It was beautiful, and the sea roared beneath it. On one panga trip over from the main live-aboard boat, we were heading back after a dive and dolphins were breaching around us. It was one of the most moving, 'primordial' looking scenes I've ever experienced. Like something pre-historic.

Against the 'real' problems of the day, like the pandemic, people dying in the Israel vs. Hamas conflict, etc..., I suppose it seems like small potatoes, but we lost a natural heritage site here.

Against the 'real' problems of the day, like the pandemic, people dying in the Israel vs. Hamas conflict, etc..., I suppose it seems like small potatoes, but we lost a natural heritage site here.

Given the scale of geological time, we are fortunate to witness the change, though not the actual event. Happiness is a state of mind, look for the good and ignore the bad.

49503317042_3a6bbae2ef_b.jpg

49502591788_e6d9cf1703_b.jpg

This is from last year. Even though it has long been the symbol of the Galapagos Islands, it's still just a rock. There is a reason it had a hole in it. It may have taken millions of years, but the ocean's power continues. The people on the boats who witnessed the collapse were lucky.

I have quite a few dives at Darwin's Arch over the past 30 years. It is right up there among my top dive sites ever experienced in nearly 55 years of diving the planet. While the top-side has changed physically, the majesty of that dive site continues. Whale Sharks, Galapagos Sharks, Hammerheads, oh my.... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom