DAN Report on Diving Fatalities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two subjects that new students constantly bring up are, how to deal with dangerous sealife (sharks), and how to not run out of air. Almost all "Ol' School" divers/instructors that I dive with carry redundant gas supply (in addition to buddy). Newly certified students and Kool-Aid drinkers need to think hard, real hard, about the positive uses of secondary gas supplies.

Two subjects that new students constantly bring up are, how to deal with dangerous sealife (sharks), and how to not run out of air. Almost all "Ol' School" divers/instructors that I dive with carry redundant gas supply (in addition to buddy). Newly certified students and Kool-Aid drinkers need to think hard, real hard, about the positive uses of secondary gas supplies.
Kool Aid drinkers? I don't recommend ponies for my OW students. I would rather get them grounded in gas planning and management from the start. One guy on the boat was quite surprised that I surfaced with 1500 and 1800 psi on two dives this past Sunday. Could I have have used more air? Sure... but why? I accomplished what I set out to do and was as close to deco as I wanted to get.

I don't recommend ponies for my OW students. I would rather get them grounded in gas planning and management from the start.

Carrying a Pony has nothing to do with "gas planning and management".

Carrying a Pony has nothing to do with "gas planning and management".
I don't recommend carrying redundant air of any kind for BOW divers. Gas planning & management as well as good buddy skills are taught instead.

I see no reason why the two should be mutually exclusive however. You can certainly do both. The only negatives for pony bottles as generally stated are misuses. If you can correctly train someone in gas management/buddy skills/buoyancy one could also correctly train someone in the use of pony bottles....not saying one has to but there is no reason not to either. Redundancy is not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Fitness for diving is at best treated as an afterthought in training. If people knew it contributed close to half the deaths and the majority for divers over fifty behavior might change. It is wrong to dismiss these saying these people would have died anyway. Being underwater is just a bad place to have a cardiac event.

Fitness for diving is at best treated as an afterthought in training. If people knew it contributed close to half the deaths and the majority for divers over fifty behavior might change. It is wrong to dismiss these saying these people would have died anyway. Being underwater is just a bad place to have a cardiac event.

If some would not stress that diving was not a sport then maybe it would be looked at differently. When we just recently went through our OW class, the inst. made it sound like this was a walk in the park. However, I saw the light when we had to hike our gear to and from the water to where we were set up. Fully geared up. At this point I knew he was telling stories. I have to wonder if some of the cardiac events are not caused by the stress on the body. Just like when runners and such experience a heart attack after coming back from a run. Thankfully, I am used to lugging heavy stuff around, as I am in the packing and shipping business, so not that much of a big deal. But to office workers, could become more of an issue.

Some thoughts on OW training, at least for PADI:

In the classroom, if we just follow the course plan, we spend a lot of time teaching how to measure dives for purposes of avoiding DCS, and a relatively small time talking about about lung overexpansion injuries. There is not much time spent on gas planning or buoyancy at all, except for the need for the latter. Consequently, the wise instructor will add value to the class by talking about these things in more detail.

In the pool, there is nothing about DCS or gas planning, and a little on proper ascents to avoid injury. In the latter case, there is actually a lot of it permeating the class in the background, since the goal of much of the instruction is to teach comfort in the water and avoid the panicked bolt to the surface.

Buoyancy is the wild card.

If you look at the standards carefully, students are supposed to learn to swim with proper buoyancy, but I would argue that it is not typically done effectively. Students have to perform a number of skills, they are given two buoyancy specific skills, and they are supposed to do free swimming to learn to be comfortable in the water. The last part of that sentence is not well defined. If they do the skills non-buoyancy skills negatively buoyant on their knees and then do a minimum of free swimming, they will leave the pool sessions with little buoyancy skill. If they do the skills while neutrally buoyant and if free swimming time is stressed, they will come out with pretty good buoyancy skills.

The buoyancy part is thus up to how the instructor chooses to teach the class.

There are two broad misconceptions in those comments ...

The first is that sharks are not "dangerous sealife" ... they are wild animals that should be respected as such. Too many humans don't understand that we're not on their menu, and if you leave them alone, they'll generally return the favor. Frankly, the guy driving in the lane next to you on the freeway is a far more dangerous animal than a shark will ever be.

The second misconception is that redundant air has anything whatsoever to do with gas management. It doesn't. Those old-school divers you refer to grew up in the J-valve era when gas management meant swimming around till your regulator got hard to breathe, then you pull the lever and abort the dive. Thankfully, those days have gone the way of the dinosaur. Gas management ... in its simplest form ... means putting some thought into how much gas you need for your planned dive BEFORE you get inthe water ... not after. In other words, shift your thinking away from how much gas you want to end the dive with, and start thinking about how much you want to start with. Everybody's familiar with the adage "plan your dive and dive your plan" ... we all heard it in our OW class. Gas management is the important part they left out when they neglected to tell you how to do that.

Redundant air is for emergencies ... it is not, and should never be, factored into your dive plan.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If some would not stress that diving was not a sport then maybe it would be looked at differently. When we just recently went through our OW class, the inst. made it sound like this was a walk in the park. However, I saw the light when we had to hike our gear to and from the water to where we were set up. Fully geared up. At this point I knew he was telling stories. I have to wonder if some of the cardiac events are not caused by the stress on the body. Just like when runners and such experience a heart attack after coming back from a run. Thankfully, I am used to lugging heavy stuff around, as I am in the packing and shipping business, so not that much of a big deal. But to office workers, could become more of an issue.

Diving is not a sport ... it's a recreational activity. So is mountain biking, skiing, rock climbing, and a host of other activities that require some level of fitness. The amount of fitness required depends on a number of factors ... not least of which is where and how you plan to engage in the activity.

Diving in a high-flow cave requires a much higher degree of fitness than diving a reef in Bonaire. Diving cold water generally requires better fitness than diving warm ... because of all the extra gear and weight you need to carry. Diving in rough conditions requires a higher level of fitness than diving in calm.

If you're diving pretty benign conditions, fitness is less important ... although I still think some level of fitness is desireable. If you're diving in challenging conditions, fitness becomes increasingly mandatory.

Fitness is a relative term ... generally speaking, the most exertion you'll put into diving is getting into and out of the water. But that's not always the case. Current or surge can create an environment where one can become exhausted in a hurry.

I've seen people who have dived successfully for years in warmer climes come up to Puget Sound and exhaust themselves in minutes in a current. Those who dive those conditions regularly have developed techniques for dealing with it that require less exertion. So in that respect, skills also play an important role.

The key is understanding what conditions you're likely to encounter, and being adequately fit to dive in those conditions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom