DAN Releases Accident Statistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dang, being old and overweight must be a bad combo!

Charlie59:
Dang, being old and overweight must be a bad combo!
After looking at the data on their site though, it is clear that about 50% of the divers in their population are over 40, however the 50+ group clearly is the most at risk. Surprisingly it seems the correlation is even more severe for women than men.
I couldn't judge from the data whether BMI was a factor or not. ie. I don't know what the distibution of BMI is for divers, although I'm sure some of us have our own opinions.
Bottom line ..
overweight is unhealthy even if you don't dive and there is obviously a clear correlation between age & general health.

Just a bit surprising to me was the statistics that seemed to show that once you get past the beginner stage, more experience does not necessarily translate to safer diving. (my interpretation, not theirs)

74 percent were overweight or obese. Forty-five percent were obese or morbidly obese, representing a higher proportion than in national surveys.

So...what is the obesity rate in the general population, anybody know?

Also, I am unclear on how they can say "too little gas" followed by rough seas or currents. Don't you eventually have too little gas once the ocean prevents you from getting back to the boat?

and I was curious...
Shallow-water blackout was suspected in two other cases but without supporting documentation

what exactly would supporting documentation BE? History, observation...or autopsy results. Because I am getting the impression that it is done by ruling out other causes and the history of the event. Does anybody know if shallow water black out has any definitive morphological signs on the autopsy?

Can you draw any inferences from the high incidence of casualities in the SE?

catherine96821:
Can you draw any inferences from the high incidence of casualities in the SE?

Warm water, popular vacation destination...I'd guess it's directly proportional to the number of divers in the SE?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom