DAN membership vs travel insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becca65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
so, being a DAN member automatically gets you coverage if you have a dive related injury - correct? Does it also automatically cover you if you are on vacation and have a non-dive related accident? First wanted to make sure I had that right - I'm looking into getting travel insurance to cover flight and hotel costs if we have to cancel due to illness, weather, any other reason or if the airline cancels us. When I plug my details into DAN it shows me how much for that plus medial/accident coverage - if I already have that with DAN am I paying more to cover a specific trip? Or is it better to get that coverage through someone else?

no, you need to buy dive accident insurance separately. the enhanced membership includes some travel insurance coverage but is a bit limited in comparison to annual travel/trip cancellation insurance (it is not primary overseas medical coverage) or evacuation coverage for remote areas like ripcord.

Just some quick info. Others may go into more detail.

1. Being a DAN member ALLOWS you to purchase DAN DIVE insurance - a membership does not include dive insurance.

2. There is a DAN DIVE insurance plan (I believe Guardian and Preferred plans) that does include non-dive related accidents. The cheaper plan ONLY covers dive-related accidents.The higher plans also cover DIVING trip cancellation and interruption to the extent that the pre-paid expenses for the trip were related to diving.

3. DAN is a secondary insurance that pays after other insurances cover what they will.

4. DAN TRAVEL insurance is separate from the membership and DIVE insurance. There are also different levels for this insurance again covering pre-paid expenses. If I were getting this insurance (at my age and being on Medicare), it would be for the medical.

From what I've read through the years from others, DAN plans can vary from state to state, so best to do a little research.

* Most of the time when I travel and plan to dive, I have the DAN dive insurance and get the Allianz trip insurance offered when I purchase my air fare - it's cheap but gives me some medical.

I buy a yearly plan as I travel a lot - the insurance only covers an issue in your non resident country ie overseas from where you live -not sure of the US policy as its a big place an day be different

Ive had 3 claims all paid with no fusss

Is there an age cap on DAN dive/medical insurance?

I haven't reached the age yet but recently read something that said there was an age cap and it took me aback. So this is as good a thread as any to ask in. 😊

Is there an age cap on DAN dive/medical insurance?

I haven't reached the age yet but recently read something that said there was an age cap and it took me aback. So this is as good a thread as any to ask in. 😊
Based on my quick search the only limit for Canadian divers is being at a min 8 years old for coverage. The US has policy coverage in I think every state for divers 70+. Below is the Canadian phone number to verify and ask further questions.

+1-800-446-2671

Screenshot_20240830_053259_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20240830_053403_DuckDuckGo.jpg

For US divers:

Screenshot_20240830_052944_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Hey @lermontov curious to know which yearly plan you chose?
If you renew with the Master or Preferred Dive Accident Assistance Package, consider adding an annual Travel Assistance package, for benefits such as Medical Expenses for Non-dive Accident or Illness, Trip Cancellation Coverage and Baggage Coverage. Offers a benefit towards a dive trip that is cancelled or interrupted due to a medical reason that disables an insured from traveling and/or diving.

Ive had 3 claims as mentioned earlier - lost an $800 undergarment in Malta- lost 3 days due to sickness on a Live on board in Solomons (2.5K ) that was within a 10 day trip - claimed a loss of a Live on board trip to Bikini atoll (6K) due to broken wrist - thats all with one year and they were happy to renew for 2025

If you renew with the Master or Preferred Dive Accident Assistance Package, consider adding an annual Travel Assistance package, for benefits such as Medical Expenses for Non-dive Accident or Illness, Trip Cancellation Coverage and Baggage Coverage. Offers a benefit towards a dive trip that is cancelled or interrupted due to a medical reason that disables an insured from traveling and/or diving.

Ive had 3 claims as mentioned earlier - lost an $800 undergarment in Malta- lost 3 days due to sickness on a Live on board in Solomons (2.5K ) that was within a 10 day trip - claimed a loss of a Live on board trip to Bikini atoll (6K) due to broken wrist - thats all with one year and they were happy to renew for 2025

I'm looking at your 2nd claim. You were sick for 3 days on the liveaboard. How many days long was the liveaboard? What did you need to provide to prove your illness?

I'm looking at your 2nd claim. You were sick for 3 days on the liveaboard. How many days long was the liveaboard? What did you need to provide to prove your illness?
it was a 10 day trip i got sick on day 3 or 4 - fortunately there where 2 doctors on board - you MUST have a doctors certificate to legitimise your claim- I also had a letter for the LOB organisers to verify my invoice for the trip to pro rata the cost.
One friend got injured on a trip and he had a zoom call with his local GP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom