DAN insurance question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was recently reading my Dan insurance handbook and found the following. DAN TravelAssist must arrange ALL evacuations. Emergency evacuation arrangements made directly by you may not be reimbursed. Given that an emergency may require immediate evacuation, how would it be possible to consult with Dan before action is taken?

I have been in this scenario. 911 was the first call placed during a life threatening dive accident, which resulted in air ambulance being sent to our location. DAN was not contacted until the 911 call was completed, and so there was no possibility of DAN arranging the evacuation.

After the dust settled, I called my claim representative to inquire whether DAN would consider reimbursing the cost of this air ambulance service as it had not been pre arranged by DAN. I was told that it was correct to call 911 first in life threatening situation, and that DAN would process the air ambulance claim along with all other claims submitted related to the accident.

Several times during the claims process, I repeated this question when speaking with DAN and was always assured that DAN would process the air evacuation claim if primary insurance did not cover the bill.

The evacuation bill was ultimately fully covered by primary insurance, and so I don't have a way to know with 100% certainty that DAN would have covered the substantial cost of air evacuation in this case. But I was given no reason to think DAN would not have covered the bill and DAN did pay out on all other claims submitted and not covered by primary insurance.

This is only my experience, best to contact DAN directly with this question to get the correct answer.

Thanks, did the incident happen in the United States? My primary insurance doesn’t cover out of country

Thanks, did the incident happen in the United States? My primary insurance doesn’t cover out of country
Yes, the incident occurred in the United States.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom