DAN Insurance: Guardian or Preferred

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or "other".

We travel a lot. So we have purchased an annual travel medical / trip cancellation / trip interruption insurance policy. It costs more than DAN, but then it also covers much more than DAN. It is a single policy that covers everything. You may (will?) find that even if you purchase a DAN product you will still need to purchase other travel products.

And remember: Insurance is regulated at a state / province level. So products vary depending upon where you live. Our Blue Cross product is only available in eastern Canada.

there was a recent thread https://www.scubaboard.com/communit...eaboard-departure-due-to-flight-issues.546611

regarding LOB insurance.

Yes, I have the DAN Guardian Plan but I still purchase travel insurance, especially if I am doing liveaboard. I get the Dive Assure Travel Insurance which covers dive specific travel and has a liveaboard rider. I haven't found anyone else that does the liveaboard rider. I even go as far as triple dipping and get the Geo Blue Traveler's Medical insurance for non-diving for $1Million $0 deductible. It's very, very inexpensive and the rate is primarily age and zip code based, I believe.

Some folks tout that they have great credit card coverage for things like trip cancellation, interruption, etc.; however, read the benefits guide and fine print. What is actually covered by paid supplemental insurance for travel is not usually entirely covered by the credit card benefits. I have a pretty travel benefit-laden credit card (Chase Sapphire Reserve) and it is not enough reassurance for me, especially on a liveaboard trip which is $$$.

Yes, I have the DAN Guardian Plan but I still purchase travel insurance, especially if I am doing liveaboard. I get the Dive Assure Travel Insurance which covers dive specific travel and has a liveaboard rider. I haven't found anyone else that does the liveaboard rider. I even go as far as triple dipping and get the Geo Blue Traveler's Medical insurance for non-diving for $1Million $0 deductible. It's very, very inexpensive and the rate is primarily age and zip code based, I believe.

Some folks tout that they have great credit card coverage for things like trip cancellation, interruption, etc.; however, read the benefits guide and fine print. What is actually covered by paid supplemental insurance for travel is not usually entirely covered by the credit card benefits. I have a pretty travel benefit-laden credit card (Chase Sapphire Reserve) and it is not enough reassurance for me, especially on a liveaboard trip which is $$$.
I am curious - what does a LOB rider cover? It's just a floating hotel...

I am curious - what does a LOB rider cover? It's just a floating hotel...

Here's a link to what it covers: https://diveassure.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Standrd-Deluxe-Elite-LAR-DOC-2017.pdf

Trip Cancellations Due To:

• Trip cancellation coverage due to a missed connection resulting in missing the liveaboard or in additional cost to join it.
  • Trip cancellation coverage for missing liveaboard departure due to airline delays.

Lost Diving Days Due To:

• Medical inability to dive.
  • Weather conditions not enabling diving/sailing.
  • Diving accident to other passenger on boat causing the boat to abort planned diving.
  • Expenses not reimbursed by the tour operator for default /mechanical breakdown to air supply.
  • Financial Default of the liveaboard operating company, or tour operator (Covered already by the Elite Plan).

1. Missed connection resulting in missing the liveaboard or in additional cost to join it. Coverage: up to 90% of trip cost or the maximum specified by the declared trip value 2. Missed Liveaboard departure due to airline delays and subject to terms and conditions outlined in the policy for validity of claim. 3. Lost diving days due to the following reasons: 3.1. Medical inability to dive. 3.2. Weather conditions not enabling diving/sailing as supported by marine and weather forecast (required) not enabling diving/sailing per captain's discretion. per captain's discretion (Excluding limited visibility conditions) . Coverage: 100% of liveaboard trip cost divided by number of unavailable diving days not to exceed $250 p/diving day with a maximum coverage of $1,500. 3.3. Diving accident to other passenger on boat causing the boat to abort planned diving. 3.4. Expenses not reimbursed by the tour operator for Mechanical breakdown to liveaboard boat causing evacuation of passengers and/or aborting trip. 3.5. Expenses not reimbursed by the tour operator for default /mechanical breakdown to air supply on board liveaboard boat during your dive trip. 4. Mechanical Failure of the “Liveaboard Vessel”: Whereas coverage is conditional upon the total and complete failure of the scheduled vessel resulting in cancellation prior to departure from the point of origin or curtailment of the trip once underway. You would be eligible for the economy non-refundable airfare to reach the destination and return home in the event the failure occurred after initial departure. Any fees or expenses associated with Your attempting to re-schedule with another vessel are not eligible for any further compensation. 5. Financial Default of the liveaboard operating company, or tour operator provided the Financial Default occurs more than 14 days following Your effective date for the Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption Benefits. There is no coverage for the Financial Default of any person, organization, agency, or firm from whom You purchased travel arrangements supplied by others. This coverage applies only if insurance was purchased within 15 calendar days of Initial Trip Payment (Covered already by the Elite Plan). 6. Validity: Liveaboard rider may only be purchased if You have entered a contract with a liveaboard accommodation that is greater than 24 hours in duration and is not considered a day trip. Day trip is defined as any period less than 24 hours regardless of accommodation.

Last edited:
1. Read the small print.
2. Compare and contrast the policy offered by various underwriters.
3. Pick the one that offer the most extensive coverage and cost is not a consideration.
4. DAN insurance is really good for dive related injury but not that adequate as travelling insurance.
5. I have travel insurance + DAN.

Just trying to get an idea of what most people feel comfortable with.

Guardian $160 a year. I consider that dirt cheap when it comes to insurance, so I go with Guardian.

edit: just checked a renewal quote and now it says $125, that's even better.

Last edited:
1. Read the small print.
3. Pick the one that offer the most extensive coverage and cost is not a consideration.
4. DAN insurance is really good for dive related injury but not that adequate as travelling insurance.

I beg to differ. We travel a lot and have had travel insurance in the past and have had to use it. A few years back we purchased dan's annual trip insurance and had to use it. It covered more, was easier to deal with, and paid us way faster than any of the travel insurers we had in the past. I would continue to get it but dan no longer offers it to residents of Florida.

As far as dan I get their most expensive policy for my wife and myself. Not sure which policy that is.

I beg to differ. We travel a lot and have had travel insurance in the past and have had to use it. A few years back we purchased dan's annual trip insurance and had to use it. It covered more, was easier to deal with, and paid us way faster than any of the travel insurers we had in the past. I would continue to get it but dan no longer offers it to residents of Florida.

As far as dan I get their most expensive policy for my wife and myself. Not sure which policy that is.
DAN used different underwriters at various parts of the world! The policy offered by DAN Asia Pacific in my case will be different from what you get in USA.
As I had said, read the small print FIRST.

Here's a link to what it covers: https://diveassure.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Standrd-Deluxe-Elite-LAR-DOC-2017.pdf

Trip Cancellations Due To:

• Trip cancellation coverage due to a missed connection resulting in missing the liveaboard or in additional cost to join it.
  • Trip cancellation coverage for missing liveaboard departure due to airline delays.

Lost Diving Days Due To:

• Medical inability to dive.
  • Weather conditions not enabling diving/sailing.
  • Diving accident to other passenger on boat causing the boat to abort planned diving.
  • Expenses not reimbursed by the tour operator for default /mechanical breakdown to air supply.
  • Financial Default of the liveaboard operating company, or tour operator (Covered already by the Elite Plan).

1. Missed connection resulting in missing the liveaboard or in additional cost to join it. Coverage: up to 90% of trip cost or the maximum specified by the declared trip value 2. Missed Liveaboard departure due to airline delays and subject to terms and conditions outlined in the policy for validity of claim. 3. Lost diving days due to the following reasons: 3.1. Medical inability to dive. 3.2. Weather conditions not enabling diving/sailing as supported by marine and weather forecast (required) not enabling diving/sailing per captain's discretion. per captain's discretion (Excluding limited visibility conditions) . Coverage: 100% of liveaboard trip cost divided by number of unavailable diving days not to exceed $250 p/diving day with a maximum coverage of $1,500. 3.3. Diving accident to other passenger on boat causing the boat to abort planned diving. 3.4. Expenses not reimbursed by the tour operator for Mechanical breakdown to liveaboard boat causing evacuation of passengers and/or aborting trip. 3.5. Expenses not reimbursed by the tour operator for default /mechanical breakdown to air supply on board liveaboard boat during your dive trip. 4. Mechanical Failure of the “Liveaboard Vessel”: Whereas coverage is conditional upon the total and complete failure of the scheduled vessel resulting in cancellation prior to departure from the point of origin or curtailment of the trip once underway. You would be eligible for the economy non-refundable airfare to reach the destination and return home in the event the failure occurred after initial departure. Any fees or expenses associated with Your attempting to re-schedule with another vessel are not eligible for any further compensation. 5. Financial Default of the liveaboard operating company, or tour operator provided the Financial Default occurs more than 14 days following Your effective date for the Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption Benefits. There is no coverage for the Financial Default of any person, organization, agency, or firm from whom You purchased travel arrangements supplied by others. This coverage applies only if insurance was purchased within 15 calendar days of Initial Trip Payment (Covered already by the Elite Plan). 6. Validity: Liveaboard rider may only be purchased if You have entered a contract with a liveaboard accommodation that is greater than 24 hours in duration and is not considered a day trip. Day trip is defined as any period less than 24 hours regardless of accommodation.
So if you are buying DAN and actually doing a LOB then you need to buy the extra cost Liveaboard Rider.

DAN used different underwriters at various parts of the world! The policy offered by DAN Asia Pacific in my case will be different from what you get in USA.
As I had said, read the small print FIRST.

I didn't pay attention to where you're located. Probably does make a huge difference.

1. Read the small print.
Agreed - in our case we stopped at step 3 as our travel insurance covers everything (and much more) than DAN does.

Back
Top Bottom