Damage after Tsunami in Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! We have a trip scheduled on the Eclipse from 21st-27th April. Keeping my fingers cross on the sightings esp. Mantas @ German Channel and Sharks @ Blue Corner (Hopefully the Hammers will come....:D).
How was the Jellyfish Lake? Did you go there??
I'm so excited! Counting down to my trip!:banana:

Next week i'm leaving Belgium for Palau :)
Just some questions : Now i've heard there leaks radioactive water from Japan into the Pacific.... is this a problem for us divers ? -> What about Palau?
What about the food? -> is it correct that all the food in Palau is coming from Japan?
Some experts who can give me some more info over these things?

Thanks a lot!!

The radiation is no problem at all - we no longer need glow sticks to keep track of our buddy on night dives.

Just kidding. I'm not an oceanographer, but I believe that the currents out here move up towards Japan and then arc over towards North America. At any rate, there's been no mention of radioactivity in either the air or water out this way. Yet. But I'm not sure I trust those who would know to tell those of us who don't.

Can't tell you about the food. We're heading to Yap next month and I'm just not going to worry about it.

Now where'd I put that geiger counter...................?

@ Dan : so you will cancel your trip because of the foodproblem?? -> Lose your money?

No, I'm just going to go have a great time and not worry about the food or water. Heck, you probably would pick up more radiation at the dentist. We haven't heard of any food in the islands being contaminated. But somebody from Palau will have to tell you where their food comes from, because I'm not sure. Much of our food on Guam comes from the mainland U.S.

According to my Palauan coworker, Palau imports most of their food from the US. Also Korea, Singapore and Japan.

But I wouldn't worry so much about Japan - according to even American sources, only a small amount of food is affected and the government has cut off any exporting from the affected areas, even to supply their own country....

Back
Top Bottom