DAM ~ I'm drowning in images!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like I gotta get me some DAM software ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So if it doesn't save the undo changes to a file? How does it know what to undo?
Adjustments that you make to the image in the Lightroom Develop module are saved along with the original file as a history with each step recorded. This History is persistent along with the original image.

Whenever you want to output a file for any reason (this is called Exporting) you can select from the History pane any state along the way.

That way you can either apply or not apply the changes/adjustments you have made to the image.

Another way of looking at it is:

A pixel based editor (photoshop, ect.) makes actual changes to an image file.

A global editor (LR2) records adjustments that can be applied (or not) to an image file on export.

Something else about LR2:

The program consists of 5 modules which are really seamless and work together... but rather than have everything in the window at once it is broken up into 5 specialized workspaces.

Library ~ this is where images are imported/export/sorted/collected/searched/metadata added/ect.

Develop ~ this is where adjustments are made to an image or collection of images and history of changes are recorded. Tools are few but very powerful and with great flexibility acting both globally and locally but non-destructively.

Slideshow ~ I don't use this one but maybe I should! :eek:

Print ~ I've only used this one a few times but it works great for printing contact sheets of multiple images or single pictures. Plenty of layout options too.

Web ~ I use this one often. Allows you to build web galleries from images selected in the Library module using included gallery pre-sets or downloaded pre-sets. Uploading to a website can be automated and this works very well for me. There are free plug-ins available that will allow you to directly upload to photo hosting services.

A global editor (LR2) records adjustments that can be applied (or not) to an image file on export.
Ah...that makes tons of sense now. Especialy for saving disc space. All it has to do is record a series of commands...."sharpen +12, crop L -15 etc" kinda like a Basic macro in MS Excel, instead of complete image file for each version ! Cool ! Especialy cool for hard drive challenged people with lotsa pics! You could record a dozen different versions in only a few kilobytes or less. I'de be curious to see just how frugal it is? It probably saves a "mypicturename.lr2" or something like that for each photo?

Ouch... I just saw the price.... most people hard drive challenged wont spend that and most people with money will probably just get a bigger hard drive? And its only compatible with cs4 as the default editor? Cool idea though.

Last edited:
Ouch... I just saw the price.... most people hard drive challenged wont spend that and most people with money will probably just get a bigger hard drive? And its only compatible with cs4 as the default editor? Cool idea though.
Ah yes... the price. :D

The best tools often come at a premium price and after use prove to have been a bargain.

The best tools often come at a premium price and after use prove to have been a bargain.

My $1300 flashlight comes to mind . . . :)

What an excellent thread ...

Ah yes... the price. :D

... with an excellent point

nice to see you here

My $1300 flashlight comes to mind . . . :)
Yes, Lynn... and it is but a fraction of what the rest of your gear cost... not to mention the tech and cave training.

When you consider how much folks spend to equip themselves to dive + how much it costs to destination dive + the cost of U/W cameras, housings, strobes, ect...
$300 for a program to keep your images from getting sucked into a black hole is a very small price to pay.

The good news is that if you are a student or a teacher you can purchase a LR2 academic license for $99!
For those who can't forego Latte Grandes for a month there are cheapware/shareware DAMs that will help you organize yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom