Dallas area diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deyv

Reaction score
OK, might have a last min. holiday trip to the dallas area (timeshare thing....26th til the 2nd)

Any diving going on this time of year? any buddies available? any suggestions on what to do while here?

I have the choice of:
Runaway Bay (lake bridgeport i believe) about 1 hr NW of Dallas

Holly lake (near big sandy/whiteoak) looks like 2 hrs E of Dallas

or
Flint (near tyler...another lake(also Tyler?) about 1 1/2 -2 hr SE (mostly E) of Dallas....

If i can't find anyone to dive with, some recreational suggestions would be helpful...

thank in advance

Deyv

Do you know, offhand, where around Dallas you will be staying? If we know that, we can better accomodate you.

I listed the 3 places I have a choice of (though the longer I wait, the choices may disappear)...

The closest was Runaway Bay, which is right near lake bridgeport and near Decatur, about an hour NW of Dallas

The next Was in Flint TX, which is on another lake, just SW of Tyler TX and seems about 1 1/2- 2Hrs SE(more E) of Dallas

the last is in Holly Lake Ranch TX which says it has a lake and beach, but the map doesnt show it (probably just a small couple acre swimming hole thing). Its just N of big sandy and NW of Gladewater/Whiteoak) loos about 2hrs (the site says 200miles, but the map looks alot closer!)

I dont actually know the area, just going off the timeshare maps on the site.

I'm way up in Niagara Falls, so temp is no problem (Last dive I did before winter set in was a night dive at 53F) I'd have to fly (being a 25hr drive) so I could probably bring Equipment, but not sure about tanks

Deyv

Deyv, go to my new post under Texas Swamp Divers. Polar Bear day Jan1st at Clear Springs Scuba Park. It's about 30-45 minutes east of Dallas....usually excellent diving(IMHO.)

IF you want to dive some Texas freshwater...

The places near Tyler are your best bet. You can come back to Clear Springs in Terrell to dive and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a buddy. I konw of a group of people who dive Lake Tyler periodically, but I don't know if they are seasonal divers or not.

Texas maps.... consider... Texas really is big. An inch on a Texas map is often one hundred miles or more. An inch on other state maps is frequently shorter. I have said for years Texans have a skewed sense of distance.

Gear... bring your dry suit. Finding tanks isn't too hard. There is a good shop in Tyler.

TwoBit

I'm just east of Runaway Bay (RAB) - nice place to stay for the holidays, but don't even want to dive in Lake Bridgeport (Bridgeport is black water). It would be about 120 miles to Clear Springs and 60 miles to Possum Kingdom from RAB, though Clear Springs has the better diving (and the Polar Bear dive on the first!)

Well, I ended up waiting too long and lost the week from the 26th til the 2nd.... so Now I'm ending up near Houston now....
Might be able to catch the resort near tyler for the week before (19th- 26th) then head down towards Houston... but getting both weeks off may be a problem....

So now the question to you all fine people is there anyone out there to buddy up with south of Houston (Freeport TX... right on the beach, San Luis Pass)

TIA, Deyv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom