Dahab vs. Eilat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can anyone recommend a private guide, or tell me how to find one once we're there? and approximately how much are they? im a student so price is a big factor.

the liveaboard isn't an option, as im going with my family and they aren't diving. thanks for all the input

oh and just a sidenote, we're definitely driving back because we're making some stops on the way, so diving the full 4 days isnt a problem.

as for the better diving, i'm all about the little things- corals, anemones, small colorful fish, rather than finding the biggest grouper or shark..

If your trip is only 4 days, I wouldn't drive all the way down to Dahab. Try two days in Eilat and two days in Aqaba.

In Eilat, I recommend U-Dive. They have private dives for about $40-$50 with full equipment. The facilities are also new. UDIVE

In Aqaba, I used the Royal Diving Centre. The facilities were like a resort. Staff were excellent. Royal Diving Club & Coral Bay Hotel & Resort

can anyone recommend a private guide, or tell me how to find one once we're there? and approximately how much are they? im a student so price is a big factor.

the liveaboard isn't an option, as im going with my family and they aren't diving. thanks for all the input

oh and just a sidenote, we're definitely driving back because we're making some stops on the way, so diving the full 4 days isnt a problem.

as for the better diving, i'm all about the little things- corals, anemones, small colorful fish, rather than finding the biggest grouper or shark..

With a non diving family, perhaps Eilat is your best option as there are more things to do and see for them too.
Another good option to do with your family is spending a couple of days diving in Aqaba and then go to Petra- it is a world class wonder and a "must see" if you are in Jordan.
Dahab is nice also, but the main activity for your family will be relaxing in the beach- not a bad choice- but some people get tired of it after 2-3 days of laziness :wink:

In Eilat you'll have just what you're looking for- all the "little things" in abundance and variety too.

Guidance is not obligatory, but you may have difficulties finding a buddy during regular weekdays so you may end up taking a guide anyway. I don't think there's much importance which dive club you go. You may try "Aqua Sport" which also can organize dives to Coral Island and some nearby sites from Taba. Other clubs with good reputation are Manta, Aqua Sport, Meduza, Deep Divers, Coral Sea etc. etc.

If you are into photography, perhaps "Nemo Divers" is your best choice- it is a small dive club and the owner, Noam Kortler is an excellent photographer.

Thanks everybody. While I'm the only one diving, the other 2 people coming would be snorkeling, and as our trip includes other things after we leave the Red Sea, I really would like to do 4 full days of diving.

I know driving to Dahab is a hassle, but assuming the fact that I have to rent my equipment and use a dive guide (either private or through a dive shop), would it be any cheaper than Eilat? Right now I'm thinking of spending one day in Eilat and the other 3 in Dahab.

I'm into photography, and buying a new Canon Powershot SD870 IS for this trip, so I will definitely check out Nemo Divers -thanks Jai Bar.

There is NO doubt that Dahab is the better dive spot.
I dove at Dahab (twice) and Akaba once, although I have not dove in Eilat, from what I heard from those that did, the diving there is poor to mediocer at best. There is a fish farm with over 10 million fish there , their "discharge" is the equivelent of the raw waste of a 30,000 person town. This has pretty much killed most of the coral..... The diving in Dahab is SUPERB!! everyone wants to do the Blue Hole, and thats a nice dive, but one of the LEAST interesting in all of Dahab. But right next to it is Bells which is one of the best dives in Dahab. Be sure to dive the CANYON, one of the best dives ANYWHERE!!!! Overall, there is lots of coral gardens, some walls and all is great!! if you were certified there, going back will just be the icing on the cake.

Eilat is NOT a cheap place, other than the cheapest hostels all hotels are about 2-3 TIMES as expensive as in Dahab. In Dahab you can dive with any number of dive clubs, 2 dives w/equipt rent and guide for about $60-80. I can recomend Planet Divers as a great outfit. They also have a midrange to budget type hotel. Additionally, you can get GREAT meals on the boardwalk for US$10, including appetizers etc. One of the best meals i EVER ate was at the Alladin resturant !!!! If you want a beer, just go to one of the bars and by a couple bottles for your meal. Resturants in Dahab do NOT sell alcahol.

Getting to Dahab is NOT difficult. From Eilat, taxi or bus to Taba border crossing and then either bus or Taxi. the bus to Dahab leaves from the Taba station (a 500 meter walk from the border) and costs about 26 egyptian pounds, about 4-5 US$. these buses can take 3-4 hours at least and only run 3 times a day, 9AM, 3PM and 6PM. A taxi, right from the border will cost $40-80, depending on your negotiating skills, but the most I have ever paid is $45. The drive should not take more than 90 minutes.
The drive from Jerusalem or Tel-Aviv is not more 4-4.5 hours.
Ignore the "travel warnings" issued by the israeli goverment, these are just propoganda to discourage Israelis from spending money in Egypt. EVERY holiday season they issue these "warnings". I feel MUCH more secure in Dahab than in ANY place in T-A or Jerusalem.

good luck, and ENJOY.

best,
yuval

Yuval, while I agree with you about the diving in Dahab, I must disagree on a number of points:

Eilat does have some excellent diving. One of my favorite sites, the Satil wreck has some of the best soft corals I've seen anywhere. It also has huge numbers of fish. Another spot called Moses Rock is a beautiful hard coral garden, swarming with anthias and silver sweeper fish. On my last trip a few months ago, the visibility was great. Two private dives with equipment was about $90.

Who says you can't find affordable lodging in Eilat? The Adi hotel is modern and costs about $60 per night. On my last trip I paid a little over $100 at the Dan Panorama. If hostels are your preference, there are a number of clean, air conditioned places.

Travel warnings about Sinai have nothing to do with Israelis spending money in Egypt.

From Time Magazine (October, 2004)
One month after Israel warned its citizens to stay out of Egypt, citing a "concrete" terrorism threat with the Sinai Peninsula as a possible target, suicide bombers last week shredded a five-star Sinai hotel and another resort, which were packed with Israelis at the end of a Jewish holiday. Even more ominous, Israeli officials and Arab analysts suspect that the attacks may have marked the debut in the region of a dangerous new enemy: al-Qaeda.

Then in 2005 came a series of explosions at the Ghazala Gardens hotel in Sharm, a local shopping area, and some beach properties. Scores of people died.

In 2008 the border between Egypt and Gaza was breached, pouring thousands through. That does not create a safe, stable situation.

I'm not here to discourage anyone from visiting Egypt. Rather, if you want to visit Sinai, be aware of the warnings.

These were taken in Eilat in December:

90545992.jpg

90490596.jpg

Yuval,
I'm sorry, if you never dive in Eilat how you can say all of this ?
Completly wrong ! The vis in Eilat & Dahab are very much the same.

MidNtRmblr - just a quick reminder, we are here for dive not politics so try to keep the **** outside.

hey guys, thanks for all the input. although this is a dive forum and not a political one, when visiting a foreign country things like the attitudes of the people matter. If someone wants to give their opinion, however non-politically correct, thats their prerogative, and should be taken in stride. If you disagree, state your own views but its unnecessary to keep arguing with someone you dont even know and probably never will. That being said, I'm going to the Red Sea to dive, so anyone's opinions as to the pros and cons of either city in that regard will be much appreciated. Specifically, I'd like to thank desert eagle for his/her very informative reply concerning dive sites and lodging in Eilat. I hope my pictures come out as nice as yours!

Yuval, while I agree with you about the diving in Dahab, I must disagree on a number of points:

Eilat does have some excellent diving. One of my favorite sites, the Satil wreck has some of the best soft corals I've seen anywhere. It also has huge numbers of fish. Another spot called Moses Rock is a beautiful hard coral garden, swarming with anthias and silver sweeper fish. On my last trip a few months ago, the visibility was great. Two private dives with equipment was about $90.

Who says you can't find affordable lodging in Eilat? The Adi hotel is modern and costs about $60 per night. On my last trip I paid a little over $100 at the Dan Panorama. If hostels are your preference, there are a number of clean, air conditioned places.

Travel warnings about Sinai have nothing to do with Israelis spending money in Egypt.

From Time Magazine (October, 2004)
One month after Israel warned its citizens to stay out of Egypt, citing a "concrete" terrorism threat with the Sinai Peninsula as a possible target, suicide bombers last week shredded a five-star Sinai hotel and another resort, which were packed with Israelis at the end of a Jewish holiday. Even more ominous, Israeli officials and Arab analysts suspect that the attacks may have marked the debut in the region of a dangerous new enemy: al-Qaeda.

Then in 2005 came a series of explosions at the Ghazala Gardens hotel in Sharm, a local shopping area, and some beach properties. Scores of people died.

In 2008 the border between Egypt and Gaza was breached, pouring thousands through. That does not create a safe, stable situation.

I'm not here to discourage anyone from visiting Egypt. Rather, if you want to visit Sinai, be aware of the warnings.

These were taken in Eilat in December:

90545992.jpg

90490596.jpg

desert eagle,

1. NICE photos!!!!

2. When I last checked pricing for hotels in Eilat, about 1-2 month ago I could NOT find anything in-expensive. I looked. both before I left the US and also once I arrived in Jerusalem where I spent hours and hours on the phone with agents etc. Dan Panarama for US$100??? I was quoted well over $150 for MID-Week!!!!

In Dahab, other than the top of the line RESORTS, a good quality 3-4 star hotel will not cost more that 60-80US$. Food is also SUBSTANTIALLY less expensive in Dahab. On the boardwalk, a first-class meal is about $8-16, in Eilat a CHEAP meal will cost that.

REMEMBER, the original thread asked which was cheaper.

3.as to israeli travel warnings............
while there is always the threat of terrorist action EVERYWHERE one goes, the threat is MUCH higher within isreali territory.
And YES, the travel warnings are PURLY POLITICAL in nature. They are the result of the israeli policy of activlly discouraging Israeli's from traveling to Egypt. isreal's former PM, Sharon officially stated that it is isreali policy to discourage israeli tourism from egypt, as he would much rather have them spen thier money on isreali buisness. Ever since that statement, there have been CONSTANT travel warnings near the holidays......
This is not a political board, therefore its best stick to diving issues, however the logistics in this case neccesitates the dissemination of this info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom