Dacor The Rig II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So in summary, the Docor is a POS.

If you absolutely have to get a BC right now and you can't wait until more $$ is available and you have a better idea of what you want, here are some tips:

- Stay away from anything that markets its lift capacity. Diving single tanks, 20# is usually enough, 35# is as big as I would get. Anything over that and you're just hauling around excess bladder with you. Let me know if you don't understand how to figure out how much lift you need.

- Avoid BCs that *look* technical. In truth, no tech diver would ever wear such a thing and all of the extra gizmos on the BC are just things waiting to break and cause clutter. Keep it simple.

- If you want integrated weights, stay away from velcro. My first BC, a SeaQuest QD, dropped a weight pocket twice. The first time, I was a newbie diver and had too much weight anyway so it wasn't a problem (except I couldn't find the pocket since I didn't notice it until much later). The second time was in Cozumel and it happened just as I was nearing the bottom at 70' or so. If I hadn't of been 3 feet from the bottom, I wouldn't have been able to get it before shooting to the surface - I'm lucky.

- Avoid non-standard methods of operating the BC. I've seen those weird inflator mechanisims on some of the Dacors and Mares BCs and I don't know how to operate them. If I saw a diver unconscience on the bottom with one of those, I couldn't help him until I figured out how to use it. Hopefully, I'd find the manual laminated in his BC pocket.

ChrisATL:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning towards the Zeagle Escape now. I've always heard good things about them.

Yep, if you want to get a rear-inflation BC, the Zeagles are definitely the way to go. The escape is great, and if you want to splurge or are going to be doing some more technical or two-tank diving, the ranger is as good as rear inflations get. Just my opinion.

Any time there is a post regarding any of the Dacor Rig models, there will be a handful of folks who throw around terms like "POS," "poser BC," etc. And I've read more than one complaint about screws coming undone and about the abundance of D-rings.

That being said, I picked up a Dacor Rig II second-hand from an instructor at my LDS who maintained it and loved it, but couldn't bring it to his new gig in Papua New Guinea. I've been diving it for three years now, and have had no problems whatsoever. The weight pockets don't fall out, the screws are tight, it does not require an inordinate amount of weight, the inflator has never failed (I service it). And, as for the abundance of D-rings -- yes, there are a few more than needed. But this is easily remedied. Overall, it's been a solid performer. That being said, I saw some recommendations of some great BCs made in this thread - including the Zeagle. Can't go wrong. But I had to jump in and offer my two cents on the Rig II. Can't comment on any other Rig models, or other Dacor products. And, no, I am not a poser or a tech wannabe. This was not my first choice of BC, but I am glad I came across it.

fgray1:
Sounds like operater error to me.
I've dove with them in a number of differant envioments includeing caves and hane never had a problem.
Fred
It probably was operator error (DFU) as they obviously didn't fall out *every* time but not getting them in all the way does seem like an easy mistake to make. Also, velcro does age. Since on my SQ there was no way to remove the weights without pulling out the pockets, the velocro went through a lot more cycles than it would have if it was only to be used in an emergency situation.

I feel a lot safer with the velcro systems that give you a way to add/remove weight without having to open the weight-supporting velcro.

Right now I'm using a DUI W&T with my BP/wings for singles/drysuit. It uses velcro for adding/removing weight to the pockets and a rpicord system to dump the pockets. It has 4 seperate pockets so I'd never have to put more than 5 lbs in each and the velco isn't bearing the weight of the pocket (unless you were upside down) so I feel a little safer about it. I'd prefer it used some other mechanisim besides velcro but I guess if it did, I'd never have to buy a new one and DUI loves repeat customers.

My Dacor Rig (first generation) was the biggest waste of money. It's too big (it's a small and I'm a 42 chest and 185lbs). I had a weight pocket fall out twice. The second causing an uncontrolled accent from 60'. Good think I remembered to flare my body on the way up. I ended up cutting the pockets off and using it with a weight belt. The nylon material it is made out of is so tough, it doesn't "stick" at all to my wetsuit and slides up around my head when I'm on the surface. After a few years I got a Halcyon rig and all my problems were solved.

I have Rig (not Rig II), buy it 2nd hand from a friend. I use it once and it perform very well underwater. Friend of mine has use the Rig for 20+ dive, and never has problem with it.

As for the large ammount of D-rings, I'm making my own Dive light with cannister. I can make use the right D-rings to mount my cannister, and the left D-Rings for the trim weight for the cannister.

ONe problem that I want to fix is the bladder. It is to bulky. I would like to add some kind of DiveRite's Gusset Control Cord to hold it tighter when using single tank.

Just my 0.02.

I have had my Rig 2 for over 20 years it’s has performed faultlessly. I find the lift capacity good for lifting full catch bags up. With the wings there is a bit of drag but very comfortable feels free like a harness not the compression of some BCD’s. I have had the pocket come out once but more human error.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom