Dacor The Rig II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, hasnt Dacor been out of business for awhile? Dont know that anyone is looking into getting a Dacor.

But, since we're here, my first BC 20 yrs ago was a Dacor jacket style $140 on clearance. I had no complaints.

Yeah, hasn't Dacor been out of business for awhile?
Yes, a long while. Dacor went out of business and the name was sold to Mares. Mares tried to capitalize on the brand's name by selling Dacor-branded Mares products. Consumers and dive shops were upset because they wanted real Dacor products not re-branded Mares products. There is some disagreement over if Mares intentionally killed Dacor products or if they were already dead and unable to be resurrected. Mares then tried to sell the Dacor brand in non-diving retail channels. For example, I remember seeing them sold online by West Marine.

I keep hearing lift capacity. The lift capacity of a BC only needs to be enough to account for suit compression and tank buoyancy shift as the gas is consumed and get you positive at your most negative condition. In cold water with heavy exposure gear and negative HP steel tanks that could be 30 pounds of lift for me and in warm water in a 3mm suit, or none, and the typical rental/resort aluminum 80, I am just fine at 18 pounds. Divers do not need the 40 to 60 pounds of lift that some BCs provide.

I would not purchase anything that says Dacor on it. I cannot imagine most divers with a single tank and typical exposure gear needing much more than 30 pounds of lift.

Talk about major revival... 2004 OP post...
The last post before the revival was still over 19 years old.

Hint for anyone looking at the Dacor name plate. Walk away. It is old, out of date, has no service parts availability. Few odd people still like and use the stuff, and have small hords of service parts, that are probably aged out anyway. Let the collectors collect the Dacor stuff. If someone gifts you some Dacor stuff, find a collector and pass it along. Free is still overpriced for wanting something worth diving with.

The last post before the revival was still over 19 years old.

Hint for anyone looking at the Dacor name plate. Walk away. It is old, out of date, has no service parts availability. Few odd people still like and use the stuff, and have small hords of service parts, that are probably aged out anyway. Let the collectors collect the Dacor stuff. If someone gifts you some Dacor stuff, find a collector and pass it along. Free is still overpriced for wanting something worth diving with.
Most of their second stages can be serviced with generic parts, the problem is finding a shop willing to do it. Their first stages are troublesome because they are not standardized, some can be serviced with generic parts while others cannot. I wouldn't call the people that use them odd or that the products are out of date, but you are right it is nothing a newbie should get into.

Back
Top Bottom