Dacor Rig Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
If you read further into my last post, I said I had no interest in using it for cave/wreck diving. I've heard the whole Dive Rite/Halcyon story before.

I've used a Dive Rite and I liked it...but that's not the type of diving I do right now.
I dive a BP in Cozumel, that's neither cave or wreck diving, what am I doing wrong? Point is, a BP and wing works better for ALL kinds of diving, it's not just a "technical" rig.

Note that you say that "it's not the kind of diving I do right now." If you DO go technical in the future, now in addition to learning all sorts of new skills, you'll have to heap learning new equipment on top of it. I was diving a BP and wing before my cave class, and it allowed to to concentrate on my cave skills, not struggle with new equipment too (going from a single to double cylinders was seemless, just a little more inertia to deal with).
Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Dacor sells an adapter specifically for the Rig.
And this is the major problem with the mainstream scuba industry. If something doesn't work, add claptrap to it rather than go back and find out why it doesn't work right in the first place.

Roak

Maybe I'll just put it in the corner and attach Christmas ornaments to all the D-rings.

:huh:

I just got a Rig Pro for Christmas.....the dive shop told me that the spine pad isn't available anywhere yet...but he may have meant in the US.
Do you have a problem with the back plate pressing into your back ? I tried mine with just a sweatshirt on and I didn't feel the backplate at all. I thought it would press into my back or spine, but didn't. I will be diving it with a dry suit and DUI underwear.
I would like to know if it is a problem...I haven't dived with it yet to find out for sure.

I've got the Rig Pro with the BP. I dove it with a 2pc 6mil wetsuit. I couldn't even feel it. I did notice it had nice stability to it (well, obviously). I also dove it with just the 1pc 3 mil and still didn't have a problem. The groove in the BP for your spine works great. I'm sure you might have a problem if you tried to dive naked. If you look at the BP, however, it is very similar to the BP you would find anywhere else - so you might be able to find a Halcyon pad or something (if they make them) to go over the BP.

If you're diving a dry suit I'm sure you'll have no problem with the BP.

Now, on that note, someone will probably hijack this thread and start talking about how just the BP/wings should have been bought in the first place :spank:. Ah well, I definately plan to try that setup in the future, but I'll stick with my Rig Pro for now.

Thanx all.
My problem is not at all with comfort but th fact that I am tall and thin and right on the edge of sizes. I needed to take up some space when diving with a skin or a 3 mil. suit. I just bought a Zeagle Lazy Boy pad and fit it on and it works great. I love this BC. It is very stable with a single or double and has enough lift. I have about 50 dives on it and am very satisfied. Buy a set of wings if you want but for now this what I will be using. Rt

Just need to throw in my 2 cents on Dacor Rig BC. I have a Rig II and a buddy has the original. Both have significant velcro problems, both in the cumerbund and (here's the scary part) in the weight pockets. Rig I had that problem so Dacor added the twice-around velcro for the weight pouches on the Rig II, which was an improvement but didn't last.

I put 150 dives on my Rig II, but when a 16# weight fell out (gravity only, didn't release it) on a deep wreck dive, I made up some bungee loops to go around the velcro flap. So much for quick release, but it did the job.

Anyway, be careful and watch for that design problem.

Thanks for the info SteveKL. On the Rig Pro, however, the velcro is negated by the buckle over the cummerbund. Yet another failure point, but who's counting :D (nevermind...I'm sure someone is).

Anyway, as for the weight pouches.......if they go tits up I'll just use my weight belt w/standard weights. The quick release integrated weights aren't much to look at anyway. I'll keep an eye on them, though. I don't really mess with the weight pouches except to clean them. Hopefully it will stay that way :wink:

anyone dive it, want to make a move from my jacket style to something that will grow with me and allow me to use doubles at some point. I am not sure if i want to just go bp and wing i just don't want to show up like joe tec diver. ofcourse no offense to joe tec diver because i am sure he is a member here.

BP/Wings are for recreational diving too...they work great for technical diving too...

If you want something that will really grow with you, look no further than the BP/Wing. It will be cheaper as well.

Hi Bill,

If I could think of something that the Rig could do as good or better than a simple bp/wing I would recommend but I can't.

IMO, it's alot of bulk with d-rings all over the place except where they belong and is what some of us refer to as a tech wanna be bc. IMO, it isn't much good at all for tech diving just for looking like a tech diver to non-techdivers.

There are other ways to be sure but a bp with a wing designed for singles makes one slick, functional rig. Later you get a wing designed for doubles and you set with no other changes.
Don't worry about whether or not you look like Joe Tech Diver.

I guess some of my student look like Joe tech diver because they are in a bp/wing. More importantly though they are in control and slick in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom