DACOR Equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KingViper

Contributor
Reaction score
Was just curious what everyones thoughts were on DACOR regs and BCD's? Was thinking of purchasing a pakcage from Leisurepro.com. Thanks!

Bryan

Considering that Dacor's website has been essentially "down" for over a year and dive shops say they can't get parts for Dacor products, I'd be cautious in buying anything new from them...

If they are having problems, you won't be able to get parts for your regulator.

Any company that large that doesn't maintain it's web presence and has local
dive shops saying you can't get parts from Dacor, makes you wonder about
them.

I got a five year old Dacor paperweight if you're interested. Can't get parts.

DON'T do it. Too many other good brands to choose from. IMHO

KingViper:
Was just curious what everyones thoughts were on DACOR regs and BCD's? Was thinking of purchasing a pakcage from Leisurepro.com. Thanks!

Bryan

Bryan - I have enjoyed Dacor products over the years. At this time, I would not recommend Dacor or Mares. Check the SB equipment threads regarding Dacor. Dacor was bought by Head, after a short time, Head decided to not supply parts for Dacor Regs prior to 1999. LDS's can not get parts when parts are available. Yes, the older parts are available. Dacor/Mares will not ship them. You may be buying something that can't be serviced in 5 years. I would avoid Dacor or Mares. As quoted earlier, many other better choices. Check Rodales if you need a place to research equipment. IMHO, buy equipment that local shop can service.

Good Luck - Tom

I have a 2 year old Dacor octo that I'm replacing with a Zeagle because of what's going on with the company. It makes me nervous that everyone says Dacor will be discontinued as a brand, and even though my octo is newer and I should be able to get parts for quite awhile, my confidence in the company has faltered and I'm more comfortable switching out now.

Another reason I'm switching (more importantly) is that I used the octo at depth (75 feet) and was not happy with it's air delivery and wetness. Plus I wanted to have my octo and primary match, so it was a good choice for me to upgrade at this time.

KingViper:

Bryan

As to the parts arguement, it depends on where you are. Before they were stolen, i had a pair of dacor pacer regs (rather old, diveshop rental sale). When i was in GA, it took 3 weeks to get them serviced due to lack of parts. I have a set of pacer LXs (ebay special) and my LDS here had no problem getting parts.

Check with your LDS.

Depending on how old the reg is, it may not have all the bells and whistles. My new primary is an AL Titan XL. It breathes a little easier and has a second stage flow adjustment. But i still use a dacor as my octo and a full set of dacors for my second rig.

There is a site here http://www.divedacor.com/ but as you can see they're coming soon....whatever that means.

If head has bought dacor AND they aren't going to manufacture parts for your reg, that is a consideration.

I recently bought a Dacor Viper Metal Reg, with a Mares Rebel Octo from my LDS. They explained that all the new Dacor stuff has identical internal parts to the newer Mares regs, so getting parts for a new Dacor reg shoudn't be a problem. They are a large Mares dealer however and "encourage" that brand, so I'm taking that with a grain of a salt.

Dacor/Mares stuff has a lifetime limited warranty if you get yearly service. I'm not sure if this is just a plan to guarentee service fees or if they are actually standing behind their stuff. I don't think Leisurepro is an authorized reseller, so you wouldn't get that.

I definitely agree with divenutny. Get something that a local shop can service.

I'd stay away from them. They used to make good gear but the last 2 or 3 year they have really gone down hill. Their regs are crap and I could never get parts for older ones. I wouldn't personally buy anything made by Dacor.

Even though we carry dacor... I'd be inclined to tell you I'd prefer the Mares side of the company. Abyss is a great reg, or the Proton series is nice.

Or you could look at Zeagle for excellent regs and great warranty... Of course the warranty on any reg will depend on who you get it from. Personally, I'd lean to an authorized dealer... be it local or on line, vs. a gray market source.

... but perhaps I'm a bit biased! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom