Dacor 360 diaphragms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been put on the task of rebuilding a Dacor 360. It's in very good shape with no dings and 100% chrome with no corrosion. Long story short, the diver is getting out of diving soon and just wants something to get him by.

IP was set to about 135 psi. After a breath, it drops to about 110 psi and takes about 10 seconds to come back up. The diaphragm is in pretty gross shape. I've scrounged through my parts, I've got plenty of Dacor HP seats but no diaphragms.

Does anyone have a source for the diaphragms? I mic'ed it in at about 2.29mm.

I already rebuilt the 2nd stage. I was shocked to discover a 2nd stage that takes me longer to tune up than a Conshelf... finicky little bugger! I have to give Dacor credit though, it is a pretty advanced design for the time period.

Most of HP diaphgrams are the same outter diameter. I used a USD DA/RAM/Conshelf/darn near everything else they made one in a Dacor 950 while back, worked fine. Bryan at Vintage Double hose has USD ones for sale.

73's de KA4HAM

As Herman said most diaphragms are the same or similar diameters.
Both the Aero and XL 2nd stages can suffer from springs that loose their tension and make them difficult to tune.
btw the tuning adjustment system on the XL when everything is good is the simplest and quickest I've ever seen...there, I've said something good about Dacors.

I went ahead and used a USD diaphragm / thrust washer.

With the new-old-stock HP seat in and fresh o-rings, she's up and humming like new again. IP is solid at 140 and snaps right back in place after a breath.

Fishpie, you were right. I tried to decrease the breathing resistance a bit more and ran into a slightly freeflow. Resting my pinkie on the shaft would get rid of it, so the spring is definitely showing its age. I've had worse though, I've got a 1962 Cyklon 300 that won't seal at all above 100 psi.

If you need a little more spring tension, you can use a thin SS washer as a shim to increase its pressure slightly. Brass works OK but SS is best.

.....or just stretch 'em a bit.

.....or just stretch 'em a bit.

I prefer to use shims because I can remove or sand it down as needed to tweek the load and there is no chance I will over stretch the spring.
I am pretty good at guessing torque but my spring stretcher is was out of calibration. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom