Da**ed Coral Killers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dave

Reaction score
So my wife and I are in Bonaire, diving off a boat up near the marine park. She was having a little ear trouble and wanted to stay shallow, so I buddied up with a couple we met that week and she buddied up with a couple we had just met on the boat for the first time. They were going to just stay around the boat, they said. They each had about 15 of those marine park passes tied to their BCs. They'd obviously been to Bonaire lots of times and had been diving for over a decade each.

40 minutes later, I'm coming back to the boat and see my wife by herself. About 100' away is the couple she was supposed to dive with. I start to swim over to her, but she didn't see me and was heading out of the water anyway. I watched the couple she was with, and the woman is STANDING ON THE CORAL!

When I got back in the boat, my wife said those two clowns jumped in and swam away without waiting for her. She tried to group up with them, but they didn't even stay close to eachother. And she was furious about the way they treated the marine life!

What a couple of jerks. I felt like going over and ripping their masks off!

...what agency had certified them? Perhaps it is unfair to ask that question... or perhaps it is just politically incorrect to ask that question...

...or perhaps that is the question to ask.

Maybe if offending agencies get branded for turning out rototillers it will prompt them to deal with the problem in BOW before they unleash more Koral Killers upon a fragile ecosystem.

They'd been diving for years, so whatever they learned about bouyancy in their class had obviously been long forgotten. But hey, UP, my 300g polartec suit that got here just before Christmas sure is warm!

David

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
...what agency had certified them? Perhaps it is unfair to ask that question... or perhaps it is just politically incorrect to ask that question...

...or perhaps that is the question to ask.

Maybe if offending agencies get branded for turning out rototillers it will prompt them to deal with the problem in BOW before they unleash more Koral Killers upon a fragile ecosystem.

Well, let's see...
They did their BOW with the Y and then AOW with NAUI. They did some specialties with SSI and finished their IE under PADI. They then completed their tech certs with IANTD and then re-did them with GUE.

They're darn good divers. But when they go to the Carib. they just let their hair down and party.

SA

Now, now Unky...

We have all been over this before and I think it's fair to say that the quality of a student is much more dependant on an instructor than an agency. There are some instructors out there who seem to genuinely care about the quality of the students (Mike F and Walter jump to mind) and there are horror stories we have all heard about some of the other training that takes place out there.

And lets not forget about the individual themselves. People are quick to point out that "they received lousy training", but with the amount of information available today if they truly want to improve, they can find ways to.

Just look at all of the posts from our very own SCUBA Board users who have come to refine their techniques based on the tips and ideas picked up from more knowledgeable divers like yourself.

And in regard to the woman mentioned in the post, it was stated they had numerous marine pass parks. Obviously this wasn't their first underwater rodeo, so they *should* know better.

How are we to know that she didn't receive proper training, but just chose to ignore it?

When I see this type of behavior I have, on several occasions, tactfully tried to point out the problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, but at least I feel better knowing I made the effort.

Stephen Ash once bubbled...

Well, let's see...
They did their BOW with the Y and then AOW with NAUI. They did some specialties with SSI and finished their IE under PADI. They then completed their tech certs with IANTD and then re-did them with GUE.

They're darn good divers. But when they go to the Carib. they just let their hair down and party.

SA

Cave Diver once bubbled...
How are we to know that she didn't receive proper training, but just chose to ignore it?

I rest my case.

Dave: man... 300g in Bonair! No wonder you were warm :wink:

Steven: You know them?? :D

John: What can I say... it's a beautiful sunny Saturday and I'm impatiently waiting for Shane to get here :eek:ut:

[BSteven: You know them?? :D
[/B]

No. I just read about it on the Tech Diver Forum. They were laughing their fool heads off, "you should have seen us, man...we were dancin' on the coral."

SA

Back
Top Bottom