DA Aquamaster leak behind first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<un-elegant solution caveat>
This is mainly posted in case someone following along or someone searching at a later time has the same issue.

I was frustrated trying to get the gasket seated behind my new phoenix. As described above, I was caught between crushing my first gasket and not being able to get my second gasket to seal. Being mindful of Herman's caution to not crank down on it too much. (With the 'rona affecting one's ability to get parts shipped in a timely manner I felt more need to not kill my last two gaskets like a neanderthal.) As my first ever attempts I couldn't really judge "too much" well. Sooooooo I went the simple but mildly time consuming route.

Clean up all the threads and surfaces as would be expected.
Apply some blue loctite.
Crank it all together as hard as I could with just my hands.
Hook it up to a tank with 800psi. (not a psi requirement. I just didn't want 3000psi trying to slice the gasket in half. Granted 800 can do that as well but I didn't think it would hurt to be conservative. since I had my leftover air from the last dive.)
Slowly open the valve and hear it leak. Shut the valve!
Using one of Herman's super handy LP/HP port handles, I made small increments of pressure on the phoenix in the can body with each iteration:
assemble; crack valve gently; hear leak; close valve; drain system (breath from DH mouthpiece); remove port plug; add a bit more pressure/movement to the phoenix in the can body; reinstall plug; crack valve gently....... repeat.
After I got it to where I felt like the gasket was sealed, I took it to the tub and found a tiny little trickle of air still making it's way out. two more adjustments and it is now holding air!

I have to knock out some work today before I can dive into the pool. SPG, inflator and octo are installed. First DH dive soon!! After a couple of dives tomorrow, just for fun, I'll be on to a second stage rebuild.

As always, much thanks to the Vintage/DH/DIY/crack community.

It was my experience that as long as you were careful that the plastic gasket was in the correct position you could crank down the first stage pretty tight. As Luis said, LocTite along with the gasket is the "belt and suspenders" solution to prevent a leak.

It was my experience that as long as you were careful that the plastic gasket was in the correct position you could crank down the first stage pretty tight. As Luis said, LocTite along with the gasket is the "belt and suspenders" solution to prevent a leak.

With more experience on my part I suspect that you are right. But after squishing one from cranking down on it, I was a bit nervous. As a newbie to both DH and a phoenix, I concede an over complication on my part. I wonder if I messed up the first one by not keeping the whole apparatus (first stage, specifically) vertical long enough to trap the gasket in the correct position? Maybe?

Back
Top Bottom