D9 Transmitter, Battery Polarity Reversed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have accidentally insert the battery in my pressure transmitter backwards.
Smoke was visible.Quickly removed battery. Ya I know, not good.

Question:is this a reasonable repair, or just throw it away & buy new one?

Mike D

I did the same thing earlier this year. I was troubleshooting an issue with the signal falling off periodically during the dives. Swapped the battery and put it in backwards, magic smoke and everything. But I've had at least 15 dives with it since then with no issues. Still falls off on occasion but that is the same as before.

My guess would be that it's a wash if it crapped out though. All the "repairs" Suunto does involve swapping the internal components and the transmitters only have one component. Nobody does real board repairs anymore.

Hi Mike,
It would be replaced. A repair, especially when components got burned, is not reasonable here.

br Hendrik

Thank you for the replies.
I have not needed it as I've switched to side mount.
But wondered if it might be a reasonable repair.

Guess I'll buy a battery & give it a shot.
Risk is small (price of battery) compared to new cost.

I have to say though for a $400 (retail) item not to have a diode for reverse polarity protection is ridiculous.

Mike D.

Suunto Customer support offered me a replacement, for $215 if I was a US customer.
I am not, I am in Canada.

Mike Dolson

---------- Post added September 9th, 2015 at 03:19 PM ----------

I notified Suunto Customer Support that I am in Canada, & asked what were my options.
I have recieivd no reply yet.

Mike D

Suunto Customer support offered me a replacement, for $215 if I was a US customer.
I am not, I am in Canada.

Mike Dolson

Got the reply back from Suunto, "Since 'm in Canada, I should go to my local dealer & seek help."
Thanks Suunto.
I'm not pleased.

Mike D

I notified Suunto Customer Support that I am in Canada, & asked what were my options.

Got the reply back from Suunto, "Since 'm in Canada, I should go to my local dealer & seek help."
I'm not pleased.

You asked what your options were. They told you. What is there to be displeased about?

You asked what your options were. They told you. What is there to be displeased about?
That I was referred to the local dealer, who already suggested I contact Suunto support.
Unfortunately Suunto support in Canada is handled by Bare Canada in British Columbia, just 3000 km away.

Mike D

I can't believe that it doesn't have reverse polarity protection in it. That's just ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom