D80 and 18-55mm Lens Underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacYankee86

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey All-
Having just made the jump to a DSLR (D80), I have only one lens at the moment, the 18-55mm kit lens.

With a scuba trip to Bonaire coming up over spring break, I was wondering if this would be a suitable lens to start with, or wether I should get a different lens before the trip? 60mm Macro? Tokina 10-17mm?

Thanks for the input!
Gordon
PS-I have a few photos in my gallery, so if you want to see the shots I like taking...might help the guidance...

What do you want to shoot?

Where do you want to shoot? (Below water only, above as well?)

Z...

Ninja edit - just saw the "underwater" part of your thread title...

Not sure about nikon glass, but a 60mm macro would be a good idea, not sure about WA photo ops where you are going, but I think the Tokina 10-17 is a fisheye - probably also worth considering the Tokina 10-20 - depending on whether or not you want the "fisheye" effect in your pics - though a plain 10-20 is more useful topside.

Don't forget to factor in a dome and a flat port for your housing.

Z..

Thanks for the thought.
I already have a flat port for the housing that fits the lens I have, so were cool there.

I love the 18-55mm for topside stuff, and most likely will stick to that for most of my shooting.

Underwater is the question, seems a lot of guys are using wither the macro (60 or 105) or a WA lens (10.5, 10-17, 12-24).

Just not sure if I should even bother with the 18-55 underwater?

You should be able to get some decent portrait type shots with the 18-55 behind the flat port. Does it not vignette, though, when zoomed out to 18mm? This may limit your wide angle capabilities and of course, you won't be able to do much in way of close up shots.

So depending on what kind of shots you want, adding a wider lens or a macro lens might be a good way to go. If you add a 60mm macro, you may not need another port as your existing flat port might work. Going to a wide angle zoom you would need a dome port.

IMHO, why shoot a $100 lens on such a fine camera body? I would, at a minimum, get a Nikon 60mm. It is very versatile! (macro up to 2/3 of a shark body). I could do a whole trip to Bonaire with just the 60mm. If you had a hankering to shoot WA, the Sigma 15mm is affordable (~$350), sharp and fast focusing.

YMMV,
Dave

No expert but have owned and used a fair number of lenses underwater over the last 5yrs.

You do have to decide what you like WA or Macro. Some of this will also depend on the Strobes you have looks like you are shooting natural light? (If so you might want to consider Magic Filters) If so I would ad a strobe before another lens.

First your kit lens if fine until you get some experience but if you have money to burn...

1. Nikon 60mm, as others have said this is a must have for macro.
2. Tokina 10-17, great lens. Sold my Nikon 12-24mm and my Nikon 10.5mm sits in storage.

Down the Road
3. Nikon 105mm If you find you like macro and shoot in fairly bright waters or with shy subjects.
4. Nikon 17-55mm. This is my "don't know what I am going to see lens". Sell your 18-55mm.
5. Nikon 18-200mm is a good dryland lens.

Ditto on the 60mm micro, very versatile and sharp.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom