D6i stuck in gauge mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGini

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've had my D6i for about 6 months now. This same issue happened to me in Roatan in November and then happened again today out of the blue:

I hooked up my equipment for my second dive of the day and couldn't read my tank pressure. No indication why, no indication that I was in gauge mode. Computer appeared to go through the normal "start-up" functions. I had done a morning dive with a very easy, relaxing profile Nothing at all unusual about my first dive that would have thrown the computer into alarm.

But it never did go into dive mode for the second dive...wasn't exactly in gauge mode either, though. In fact, the dive log shows it as a normal dive mode dive (showed "G" in the dive log when it was stuck in gauge mode last time).

Why does this keep happening? I am an extremely responsible diver. Never ascend too quickly, push my limits, etc. Other than this, I've loved my D6i, but this erratic behavior is making me question whether there may be something wrong with the unit.

And no, I can't download the profile...don't have the cord to do so.

Here's the logbook/history for the dive prior to the malfunction:

97' max depth, Nitrox dive mode, 32% EAN, 60 minute bottom time, average depth 43 feet, began with 2852 psi, ended with 1643 psi. Went down to 97' to check on a jawfish with a clutch of eggs, only stayed about 2 minutes, then very slowly ascended to where I hung out for the rest of the dive around 40 feet or so. Did a nice safety stop around 18' for at least 3 minutes (probably more) and then slowly came up...no alarms, no fast movements, not a particularly eventful dive. One hour surface interval.

The logbook/history for the dive where the malfunction occurred:

74' max depth, Nitrox dive mode (although it acted like it was in gauge), 32% EAN, 54 minute bottom time, average depth 44 feet, began with 2720 psi, ended with 1576 psi (although neither of those showed during the dive...I only had the graphic representation of the tank pressure to guide me), near the end of the dive we hung around in 17 feet of water for about 5 minutes, then hung around under the dock for a bit before ascending. Nothing exciting, no fast ascents, nothing unusual.

Most interesting is that the dive history/logbook shows the dive as being completely normal, including having recorded my beginning and ending pressures.

Any help from the manufacturer's rep will be appreciated.

Update Feb 14:

Dove a night dive last night and three more dives today. Other than not showing current tank pressure, everything else showed up exactly as it does during normal dive mode. During these four dives, it even showed my remaining bottom time. And the dive log shows beginning and ending tank pressure for each dive. This is just too weird.

Last edited:
I've had my D6i for about 6 months now. This same issue happened to me in Roatan in November and then happened again today out of the blue:

I hooked up my equipment for my second dive of the day and couldn't read my tank pressure. No indication why, no indication that I was in gauge mode. Computer appeared to go through the normal "start-up" functions. I had done a morning dive with a very easy, relaxing profile Nothing at all unusual about my first dive that would have thrown the computer into alarm.

But it never did go into dive mode for the second dive...wasn't exactly in gauge mode either, though. In fact, the dive log shows it as a normal dive mode dive (showed "G" in the dive log when it was stuck in gauge mode last time).

It sound like it was in free-dive mode. I thought those computers came with the cables but anyway you should try and borrow one and send the data to Chris.

ScubaGini,

For your safety, I would advise you to send your D6i to an authorized service center for evaluation. A technician will be able to distinguish whether or not there is an issue with the computer or if the problem is occuring elsewhere. Please follow the link provided to locate the nearest authorized service center:
Suunto Dealer Locator You will need to send a copy of your purchase reciept along with your computer for warranty purposes.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

ScubaGini,

I really hope that they will do a good job with yours when you send it, i had a similar problem. I had problems with the computer reading the pressure from the first dive, and all of the sudden on the second dive of the day it suddenly went crazy and went on free dive mode. There it got stuck, and i couldn't use it for 48 hours, a brand new D6i all black edition bought especially for my Galapagos trip. Guess if i was fuming about it.

When i got back home i did sent it (my LDS did) to Finland. What did they do? Changed the battery in the transmitter. I haven't been diving in more than a pool since, but will be diving in a month or so. I really hope that the problem was that easy, but why would it go from me setting the nitrox blend to 32% to free dive mode? I really have no idea. Tbh, i am not even sure they read what i wrote to them in my letter, since they only wrote that they changed the battery in the transmitter. I didn't knew i had to check the batteries when buying brand new computer+transmitter.

Gosh, i miss my old D4.

Edit: Forgot to say that i had to rent a computer for those days, guess who had to pay for it?

Last edited:
Thank you Chris. That's exactly what I plan to do, as soon as I go back to the US.

Lucky83: A little known tip is to have both the transmitter and receiver batteries tested on a new dive computer. One never knows how long that "brand new" computer was sitting on the local dive shop display or in a warehouse. I had to have the batteries on both changed before I first dove with it because they were already depleted. This time, alas, the batteries are both fine (I tested them).

For the other comments:

The computer didn't come with a cable. It pissed me off that a $1,200 computer didn't include a $2 cable so I refused to buy it on principle. Especially because Suunto charges $30 for said $2 cable, which is insane.

It isn't in Freedive or Gauge mode...it's in Nitrox dive mode. Everything except the current gauge pressure shows as it should. It even records the beginning and ending tank pressure in the logbook.

I have been taking the D6i with me on my dives just to see what it's doing today. I am using another computer for my actual dive information.

ScubaGini,

Your D6i should have had a download cable in the box when you purchased it. Check the label on the box that your computer came in. The label should look like this with a some variation depending on which D6i you purchased. The label on your box should say w/usb just like the picture I have attached. If your box says w/usb, then the store that you purchased your computer from owes you a download cable.
D6i label.JPG

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Chris,

The label on my box says, "D6i ELASTOMER W/TRANSMITTER," it doesn't mention a USB cord anywhere on the box or within.

ScubaGini,

What is the product number on the label? It is the number that is located before D6i.

Thanks,
Chris

ScubaGini,

Unfortunately, when the i series were first released they did not come with cables. The stock # of your D6i is one that did not include a cable. The cable adds another $100 to the price.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Back
Top Bottom