D40 good price but good for long term?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The D40 does not allow one to control the aperture with the aperture ring on the lens. So some lenses will not work, but I *think* they would have to be the old manual lenses.

I assume you mean they won't work with an underwater housing?

"Non G" lenses work just fine on a D40, as do virtually all other Nikon lenses... they just don't meter or autofocus. Virtually every Nikon lens that will fit an original circa 1960 Nikon F will "work" on a D40 (manual focus and exposure... non-AI lenses need to be stopped down as well, but technically they do "work" although the non-AI tabs can munch the top of the camera if you are not careful... so better to stick with lenses made in the mid 1970's or later). G or not G, doesn't matter, they work fine (again, though, no meter). The only ones that simply will not work are a couple of really rare and bizarre fisheyes that extend back into the body and require a mirror lockup, and those awful Pronea lenses.

Third party lenses may or may not work. Sigma's HSM lenses work great. The new Tamrons with internal motors work great.

The Olympus housings, cameras and strobes are very reasonable. I sell a complete E520/PT-EO5 system, housing, port, strobe, sync cord, arms & tray, even a focus light and mount for about $2200. Body and std lens for another $600. Yes, lenses and ports add up the cost quickly, but this is an excellent housing for the money. The E620 is going to cost about $100 more.

Did I heard D90 over D300? The video idea aside (and I think it's not all that great), the D300 is much better and is cheap these days. Certainly the housings are, and lots to choose from, compared to the one or two 90 housings available.

Jack

Ialthough the non-AI tabs can munch the top of the camera if you are not careful... so better to stick with lenses made in the mid 1970's or later).

There's adequate clearance for the FTN metering tabs on the pre-AI
lenses. I just mounted the old 50 f/1.4 on Adm. Linda's D40,
no problem with the tab.

I assume you mean they won't work with an underwater housing?

"Non G" lenses work just fine on a D40, as do virtually all other Nikon lenses... they just don't meter or autofocus.

My definition of *work* is fully functional. I don't know of many that want a full autofocus/autometing camera with lenses that will not meter, or focus. My ikelite housing allows for manual focus of lenses, but I don't think one can set it up so you can both zoom, and Manual focus. I'd have to double check that as it's been months since I've had my stuff UW.

Sure, the F mount has stayed the same, so most Nikkor lenses function to some extent. IMO, better to just purchase a body that handles older lenses if that is what one is after. I think there are more Nikon cameras that are 100% compatible with older lenses vs. otherwise.

I bought the Olympus E620 this weekend. I considered both the Nikon D90 and the Olympus. After holding the 620, it just felt better and looked better in my opinion. I spent over two hours in the store asking questions about each and taking pictures with each. I am very happy with my 620 and I am now saving for a underwater housing.

Thanks for all the great advice.

The 28th annual California Beach Dive Photo Competition was held
in Monterey this past weekend. It's a one-weekend contest, shoot
and submit on Sat., judging and awards on Sunday. My GF, Adm.
Linda, took second in Behavior at the Open (Advanced) skill level
with her D40. First in category was an EOS 20D, third was a D700,
Honorable Mentions were a D200, D300, D300. Given there were
three HMs, there were at least 30 entries in category.

The 28th annual California Beach Dive Photo Competition was held
in Monterey this past weekend. It's a one-weekend contest, shoot
and submit on Sat., judging and awards on Sunday. My GF, Adm.
Linda, took second in Behavior at the Open (Advanced) skill level
with her D40. First in category was an EOS 20D, third was a D700,
Honorable Mentions were a D200, D300, D300. Given there were
three HMs, there were at least 30 entries in category.

Is she using a Ikelite housing? Strobe/strobes?

She has an Aquatica housing. For the contest she shot an 8" dome port and
the Nikon 12-24, two Nikon SB-105 strobes.

When she got the housing, the Ike housing was cheaper, but once you
factored in getting Ike synch cords (we have a BUNCH of Nikon single
cords around), the Aquatica was cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom