D1 Hybrid manufacturing questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First thing I noticed:

I recently purchased a D1 Hybrid drysuit. I haven't had the chance to use it yet. I did just complete installation of a P-valve, however, and in so doing I saw a couple things that I did not understand about the suit.

First, the zippers that hold the "mesh liner" to the shell appear to be installed "inside-out". There is no zipper handle to grab to unzip it. After manipulating the head of the zipper with my fingernail, I was able to move it far enough so that I could get the tip of my finger behind it and "push" it rather than pull it with a handle.

I found that there is a cloth "handle" with the Waterproof name on it, but it is on the OTHER side...the side that faces the inside of the shell. So I cannot grab it when I find the zipper. Here's a picture:
Waterproof zipper.jpg

Imagine if you bought a jacket with a front zipper but the zipper handle was on the inside of the jacket...see what I mean?

Now, the ANKLE zippers are the same way. When I discovered this, I chose to not remove the liner when I was installing the P-valve because I was scared I would not be able to reconnect the ankle zippers.

Think about it...you can't see down the leg...you can only get one arm down the leg...and the zipper connects from the opposite side..........

Second thing I noticed:

On both legs is an extra protective layer of material that is guard for the knees and legs (I guess). At the bottom they are sewed to the outer layer of the suit...except for about 1-1/2" of the seam that would be lowest (closer to the boot). I don't understand why it is not completely sewn all the way across. As you can see from the picture, I have put a 12" ruler into the unsewn section. It's 10" in, but I could have put the entire ruler in.
Waterproof leg guard.jpg

I am sure there must be reasons for these two things, and that as a new drysuit owner there is/are something(s) that I do not understand about how they are constructed.

Can anyone enlighten me?

HI-
The reason the liner is secured and zipped in such a manner at the back, wrist and ankles is that it is not meant to be removed easily. It can be removed and re-installed without issue, it just takes a bit of practice.
In regards to your first question - if the zipper pull tab was facing inside the suit, it would press against your back and with added weight and pressure of a BC/Harness and tank(s) would cause discomfort. With it positioned outwardly like it is designed, the flat portion of the zipper sits against your back thus reducing any possible pressure or discomfort.
Regarding your 2nd question with the Kevlar knee guards, they are bar tacked like that on purpose to prevent air pocketing and allow for drainage.

The way it is now, there is no zipper pull tab, except for the 1" long piece of cloth with your name on it. There are no metal pieces (pull tabs) sticking out on either side. Both sides feel the same.

Why was it designed to be difficult to remove?

Since it is for warmth and nothing to do with suit integrity, I figure that when I do remove it, the worse case scenario is that I cannot rezip the ankles, but the liner will still be pushed all the way down the leg and will still provide the warmth.

Your explanation of the knee guards is exactly what I figured, so thanks for confirming that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom