CZM ship wreck......the

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
the C 53(I think that's it's numbers, please correct me if wrong) this past May('08)......Wonder why more places don't dive it...This was my 5th time to CZM since Nov of '06 & the time we dove it----had never heard of it before........BTW as you can see, it was full of sardines, very good dive IMO........
IMG_0904040-copy_edited-1.jpg

and another on one of the decks.........
IMG_0885022-copy_edited-1.jpg

great pics!! I have been talked out of it every time I have brought it up...in fact one Dive op said dont waste your time, its really not worth the trip....now that was almost two years ago, but they were really down on it....

great pics!! I have been talked out of it every time I have brought it up...in fact one Dive op said dont waste your time, its really not worth the trip....now that was almost two years ago, but they were really down on it....

For a Carribean wreck dive, it's a very good one....For instance, a lot better than the Ora Verde(GC) or the El Aguilla(Roatan) IMO...Several deck levels to swim thru--up stair wells etc, some kinda dark with lines out to direct you and great fish life....The sardines were there as you can see that maybe made it a 'great' dive but still I would recommend it as a 2nd dive----max ~70 ft but you are only there a minute or 2(none if you want to hold your max depth shallower than that) and then you start the different levels of the ship......IMO, insist on doing it next time, nice little 2nd dive..........

Lots of Cozumel dive ops will take you to the C-53. I've done it a few times and it's a fun, easy wreck dive. Honestly though, if I have a choice between the wreck or a reef I'll take a reef every time. If others on the boat request the C-53 I won't say no, but it's not a dive I go out of my way to do.

Lots of Cozumel dive ops will take you to the C-53. I've done it a few times and it's a fun, easy wreck dive. Honestly though, if I have a choice between the wreck or a reef I'll take a reef every time. If others on the boat request the C-53 I won't say no, but it's not a dive I go out of my way to do.

Aldora is who I was referring to ie never wanting to dive it---I never knew it existed(again 5th trip there since Oct '06, all diving with Aldora)........Guess they feel like you ie there are better things to see UW.....But the sardines made it very nice, 1st time I had been in that many......After diving the O.V. X8 & the E.A. X20, I feel these is a much better 'touristy' Caribbean wreck dive......

I just the love the C-53! It is an easy, fun wreck with lot's of life in and around. It was originally a US Navy mine sweeper. It was bought by the Mexican Navy and converted to a gun boat. Later she was donated to the underwater park and sunk. It is an easy, mutil-level, simple wreck, but it is just so much fun!

wreck.gif

wreck2.gif

wreck3.gif

over-the-wreck.gif

robertarak, did you dive it while the sardines are there???....DM told us they come every 6-8 months? depending on different circumstances.......Again it was a nice dive IMO....

EDIT:...I have a video or 2 of the sardines I need to get uploaded ........

I dove the C53 a week ago and it was one of the best wreck dives I've done. The dive master for Blue-XT-Sea said it wasn't worth doing if there were a lot of other divers there.

He said there was a certain procedure for going through it and a lot of shops didn't follow it correctly.

When we got to the wreck we had it all to our selves. IMO, its a very good dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom